Thread: simpler optics (simulation) software other than Zemax?

Default simpler optics (simulation) software other than Zemax?

I understand what a powerful tool Zemax is and how useful it is to professionals designing optics, but I'm not an optical engineer. Zemax to me is overwhelming.
    I simply sometimes need to simulate how bounce mirrors will reflect a laser beam or video beam. I have no idea how to do this in zemax. The only way I am able to do this is in a 3d modeller with a raytracing renderer. But that is slow. It doesn't have to be that slow.

Say I want to check how bounce mirrors or galvo mirrors will perform, or I want to simulate how a halfdome mirror will work with my video projector for panoramic projection.
    I see nothing available for users like me.
    We only have these bad options:
    1) Zemax and similar professional optical design programs which are very difficult to use
    2) programs for simulating simple laser or uncollimated light interactions with simple limited list of lenses, flat or circular mirrors. These are more useful as teaching programs
    3) using a raytracer in a 3d modelling program to do the simulation which takes forever

Is there really no better option out there?

... here's a similar thread - https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sho...hlight=algodoo

If it's only to bounce some beams or "get the feeling" for focussing, then even Algodoo can help ... here a sample I sketched for some fiber-optic-collimating simulations/discussions:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faseroptik1b.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	53809

Viktor

Thats a good one I have but it seems to not have an uncollimated light source in the list. I found another program called "OptGeo". While site and installer is in french, in the options it has a way to choose English. It has all I need except not being able to draw freeform mirrors, like off-axis parabolic mirrors. https://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/_media/optgeo.gif And in an ideal world something like OptGeo but 3d would be what I would want.

I use solidworks. It takes a single digit number of minutes to develop a model with mirrors floating in space or attached to galvos with a beam projected through them. I use this for designing new mirrors, mounts, or evaluating competitors claims (some of whom forget the laws of physics occasionally...)
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Isnt OSLO a competitor to Zemax and as powerful and complex?

Zemax is mind numbing.....

Oh, then I guess I'll give OSLO a try. Only judged it from the website photos and people saying it is a Zemax alternative.