Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2018 Sign-up Thread

I may drive in for the weekend. I have a beach trip around then with my family so I am not sure it will work out this year.

I'll be coming this year at last! Also I would like to take the LSO class, so you can count me as on of the 6 or more. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any more information.
    I've never been as active on this forum as LPF, where anyone interested can see my projects in the past. For the past 18 years I've worked in the entertainment industry as a union stagehand but need to get out of the labor end more and follow my passion for lasers. Becoming a LSO is tge next step.
    If anyone has any information on what the class will cover and study materials I can find it would be greatly appreciated.
    532 with envy (Carl)

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hi Carl,
    Be prepared to be blown away if you have an interest in lasers and making that move. SELEM is an incredible experience. The LSO class is great and you will learn a ton but, don't be discouraged if you don't pass the first time. I had to take it a second time because I was fairly new to lasers (about a year and a half in) the first time I took it and, I really didn't know what to expect going in. It also comes at the end of the exercise in sleep deprivation known as SELEM. The exam is actually open book, open notes, open internet to search for answers and you would think that would make it easy but, it IS a bit of a difficult exam. It's roughly 40 multiple choice answer questions and three bonus questions. Bone up on using a scientific calculator to handle high school algebra level math. Familiarize yourself with the actual parts of the eye. Perhaps do some reading on calculating nominal occular hazard distance and download James Stewarts (LVR) phone app for calculating it. Do some reading on laser safety in general. I'm not sure exactly what to tell you to study in advance and I don't know how much good advance study will actually help. Don't use that as a reason to think twice about the course though. Greg will touch on most everything you need to know BUT, you don't know what that is so, you do have to pay attention the whole day.
    ~Brad
    PM Sent...

Brad -- if you don't pass the first time, do you have to re-take the whole course again, or just the test?

I took the course again however, since I basically failed by like 1 question, the deal was if I took the course again within a year, I didn't have to pay a second time. I think that may still be the case but, I think there may be a small fee now for taking it again. So I took it the day after SELEM the first time, and then the day after SELEM again the next year. (And aced it by the way - since I knew much better what to expect.) I still don't know how to use a scientific calculator to do algebra though. I think I was out drinking beer and smoking weed during most of my high school math classes.
    PM Sent...

Well, I definitely have the "scientific calculator to do algebra" part down pat. That's the easy part (for me).

Math is supposed to be done with NUMBERS not LETTERS... damnit!
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 04-17-2018 at 11:12.
    PM Sent...

Payment sent. Hope to have my other son, Aaron with me this year, this is Chris younger brother. It will be great having all 3 of us together at SELEM 2018.
    Baptist Bob t

Payment sent for my dad; SaltyDog
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    if you don't pass the first time, do you have to re-take the whole course again, or just the test?
    You have the option of repeating the course for free if you can go to one of the other locations where they're holding the class (like at the ILDA conference, for example), but this is not required. All you have to do is repeat the exam, and if you pass it, you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Baptist Bob View Post
    Payment sent. Hope to have my other son, Aaron with me this year, this is Chris younger brother. It will be great having all 3 of us together at SELEM 2018.
    Sounds great Bob! Looking forward to it. Gotta get Chris to convince you (and maybe Aaron too) to get a FPV quad-copter so we can all race together!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Payment sent for my dad; SaltyDog
    Looking forward to seeing him there again, Jason!

Master list at bottom of sign-up post updated.

Adam