Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2018 Sign-up Thread

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Ok, back to Dimmers.... now that I have a few minutes.
    As has been said, it is true that there are occasionally wives/girlfriends and such that attend SELEM but, it is also true that unless you're really into lasers, it can be long days for them. We tend to go pretty hard from 10am until 2 am, particularly on Friday/Saturday. Newton isn't the most thriving metropolis with a lot of things to do within walking distance so, yes... doing something touristy on the front or back end of SELEM such as the side trips in Washington or Philadelphia probably makes some sense for her sake. And honestly, there is a city called Asheville about an hour from Newton that's very easy to lose yourself in for several enjoyable days too. Knowing you, I think you'd be fine if you even wanted to do the rent a car thing and drive from JFK or Charlotte. Once you get away from New York City and the New Jersey Turnpike, the drive isn't bad and in parts can be quite scenic. Interstate 81 can be a long boring ride but, there are plenty of mountains and such to see. I'm usually doing that part in the middle of the night though.
    One thing you may want to keep in the back of your mind is that for a couple of years and... this year as well, we've done a outdoor public show for the town of Newton, most recently accompanying the Western Piedmont Symphony (yes... live lasers to classical music) and if we get invited to do that again, it may very well be worth while to stick around on Sunday as well. As was mentioned, the busiest days are Friday and Saturday. Tuesday and half of Wednesday are typically a lot of set up and socializing. Thursday through Sunday morning is really the "sweet spot" where you will see, hear and do the most. And if you're making the trek, we'd certainly want for you to be there on Saturday afternoon for the annual group photo.
    I'm hoping 2019 will be a year that sees a few people from over the pond be able to come. Maybe you can spearhead an effort to get people like Jem, Stanwax, Briggs, AndyCon, smog, and such to come as well.
    PM Sent...

I won't make it like every year but have fun folks! I would make one too many Adams... Maybe catch 'yall afterglow at NWLEM if that happens

-Adam
    Last edited by sugeek; 04-24-2018 at 20:56. Reason: zee gramarz
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Ok, back to Dimmers.... now that I have a few minutes.
    As has been said, it is true that there are occasionally wives/girlfriends and such that attend SELEM but, it is also true that unless you're really into lasers, it can be long days for them. We tend to go pretty hard from 10am until 2 am, particularly on Friday/Saturday. Newton isn't the most thriving metropolis with a lot of things to do within walking distance so, yes... doing something touristy on the front or back end of SELEM such as the side trips in Washington or Philadelphia probably makes some sense for her sake.
    I'm hoping 2019 will be a year that sees a few people from over the pond be able to come. Maybe you can spearhead an effort to get people like Jem, Stanwax, Briggs, AndyCon, smog, and such to come as well.
    Thanks to all that have responded. As i am quite serious about this i talked to a colleague about going, he worked for our NY office a few years ago and knows a bit about the eastcoast as well. He said not to fly to NY but to washington, stay a few days there (as some of you also suggested) then rent a car there (supposedly cheaper than NY ?) then take the blueridgeparkway to NC.

Then Selem, then back passing some of your tips, back to washington, then take train to NY. Stay there a few days and fly back.

For some strange reason flying into Washington (single trip) turned into a 2000 dollar pricetag from Amsterdam ?!?!?
    Flying to NY was possible for 500-600.... So will look into that. But then i will aim for friday, saturday and sunday and then continue our trip on monday morning. The days before and after are then well spent days with my gf and she finally gets to fly and see the US.

Also the fact of the hole masterplan being in 2019 will give me time to motivate the other geezers from UK to come over as well.

@Telemonster: there are awesome hackercamps in UK as well. Just when i come to US , you go to Germany, this is unbelievable ;-)
    But if you want to get a hit of the European LEM's you are more then welcome to visit DutchLEM 2019 (8-10 FEBRUARY 2019)

Thanks again to all responses, expect me to occasionally pop in and ask a question, now back to your regularly scheduled program : SELEM 2018!!!
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Yes, I check all of the airports within a two hour radius because the price differences can be amazing and... also inconsistent. One trip JFK may be the cheapest, then another it's Newark Liberty, then the next BWI and so forth. I would be inclined to cross check: JFK, LaGuardia, Newark Liberty, Philadelphia, BWI, Dulles and Ronald Regan. They are all within about 160 miles of each other and yes, the difference can be hundreds and hundreds of dollars.
    PM Sent...

Yes, I check all of the airports within a two hour radius because the price differences can be amazing and... also inconsistent. One trip JFK may be the cheapest, then another it's Newark Liberty, then the next BWI and so forth. I would be inclined to cross check: JFK, LaGuardia, Newark Liberty, Philadelphia, BWI, Dulles and Ronald Regan. They are all within about 160 miles of each other and yes, the difference can be hundreds and hundreds of dollars.
    Yeah totally ridiculous how flights work now days.

Looking for a flight over seas today. From Dulles to CDG $800 with a connection in Charlotte where I live. Fly direct from Charlotte to CDG on the exact same plane $1500. How does that make sense. I will be taking the seat to CDG anyway and if I load the plane in Charlotte I am leaving open a seat in Dulles for them to sell someone else. Why do I not get the savings? Cause its direct? That's BS.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

As a heads up, buffo is on an assignment for work in Colorado and has spotty internet access at best. He'll be back and able to update the SELEM registrations and such after May 5th. In the interim, he did ask me to mention to SaltyRobot that he might want to check out skiplagged.com. It's a website that books multi stop trips to save money, except you skip the last leg of the trip.
    PM Sent...

Thanks I'll take a look tonight

As a heads up, buffo is on an assignment for work in Colorado and has spotty internet access at best. He'll be back and able to update the SELEM registrations and such after May 5th. In the interim, he did ask me to mention to SaltyRobot that he might want to check out skiplagged.com. It's a website that books multi stop trips to save money, except you skip the last leg of the trip.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

I used to run into this pricing craziness all the time flying out of Charlotte weekly for many years. Note that on the outbound flight, if you miss a connection that you never intended to take, an airline may cancel your return ticket. US Air was notorious for this policy. They'd also come after frequent fliers that would regularly "miss" their connection through CLT to Greenville or Columbia or whatever other airport. I forgot what they tried to do . . charge you more, ban you or take away your frequent flier privileges. US Air is no longer, but I would check into it just the same.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Ok folks I'm looking to come this year....Hotels/Air any info much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Ok folks I'm looking to come this year....Hotels/Air any info much appreciated.
    Very cool. Looking forward to meeting you Marc. For air, your destination is Charlotte Douglas Intl. It's about 45 minutes from there to Newton - possibly a bit faster if their new freeway is finished. Unless you choose to rent a car, as we get closer, people usually try to arrange some rides for people from the airport. I have picked up and dropped off a few people over the years. They'll start posting when their flights are coming in on here and it just sort of magically always work out.
    As far as accommodations, the vast majority I believe stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Conover. Newton to Conover is a straight shot from the venue to the hotel but, is about 5 miles. That also is a situation that requires catching rides with people but, there are enough attendees that it's usually not a problem. Personally I'm always a "rent a car" type of guy since I prefer that freedom and not have to look for rides. Some of us stay at a bed and breakfast about a block from the venue but, rooms can be hard to come by although... sometimes if someone is only using one for a night or two, its available on the other nights and we really want to try and make sure Ann maintains a full house this year. Rick (hitekvoop) and his wife I think found a new place close to the venue last year as well.
    The majority of your food is covered as well thanks to some generous donations for dinners by some of the corporate attendees and, I handle the majority of the lunches. The hotel has a nice breakfast spread.
    You want to do this!! Trust me.
    PM Sent...