Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Molex connectors....

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Molex connectors....

Is there a friggin' rhyme or reason to finding the right molex connector? I fully understand that they come in different wire configurations.... 2,3,4,5,.... etc. And different sizes. And locking versus non locking. Square ones and rectangular ones. Black, white, opaque...
    If you buy something like the 9v power supply I got that's pictured in another thread, how do you navigate through the crap shoot of trying to look at pictures on line and try to find the female one that matches the one the manufacturer found in their random bins of male ends to use???
    Looks almost like you just have to buy half a dozen or more 500 piece kits and keep them on hand to have the right one for whatever you encounter. Or, scroll through pages and pages trying to find just the right one and then pay nearly what it costs to buy a 500 piece kit to have a little baggie of 2 sent to you.
    I need a molex connector 101 course.
    PM Sent...

I have large bags of connectors that don't fit crappola as I went on this exact same exploratory journey on Digikey. If you find a Molex Connector 101 course, I'm happy to sign up with you!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Following. But I'll add my two cents.

Knowing the pin spacing is half the battle. Typically there is 0.1 and .156 spacing. The larger .156 spacing for power supplies can go by the name KK style.

For 0.1 spacing I use from digikey. These do not lock though and must be assembled which means a suitable crimper patience and dexterity
    WM2801-ND
    WM2800-ND
    WM2802-ND
    WM2564CT-ND
    WM2567CT-ND

From the KK series this is a 0.1 version
    WM2001-ND

KK series 0.156 version
    WM2112-ND
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

When I first started using the Stanwax boards, Rob and Jonathan both tried to give me a crash course in Molex connectors. It's utterly astonishing when you realize how many different types of Molex connectors there are. In the end I decided I was never going to remember how to tell them all apart so I just ordered everything I needed directly from Rob, and then later Vigrass sent me some links to buy some spares.

But yeah... I feel your pain Brad!

Adam

Adding the wiring kit when buying anything from Stanwax is a no brainer. And I got a crimp tool from him a couple years back.
    PM Sent...

I should have bought the crimp tool myself. And the pin-removal tool too. Would have saved me a lot of frustration (and swearing) back then. Might have also eliminated the need to purchase "spares".

Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

PRO TIP:

McMaster Carr sells Molex or Molex Compatible parts at what appears to be way below factory. For what you pay for two standard four piece connector kits, you can have a lifetime supply of shells and pins..
    ~
    Buy both halves and change out everything.. Go to their search engine and type Molex.
    ~
    Then when using Phoenix Connectors, they have the crimp ferrules for next to nothing, and you don't need the crimp tool in most cases. This jacks the reliability of screw terminals up to Six Sigma levels when using stranded wire...
    ~

https://www.mcmaster.com/#ferrule-terminals/=1chuk3i

Otherwise I could not afford Molex at every position on my beam tables.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 04-20-2018 at 06:49.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I cheat and go by the datasheet. For the PSU you just got:

Attachment 53893

I've got these connectors in the shop, I'll build a few sets and get them out to you today.

I don't give a damn about what buffo says about you.... you da man.
    PM Sent...

If what he said weren't true, I wouldn't have to compensate for it by doing nice things like this. They're packed and ready to go, shoot me which address you want them to go to when you can.