Thread: Where to buy honest DMX cables

Default Where to buy honest DMX cables

Hey guys, I'm looking for a place to buy solid DMX 120Ω cables. Ebay and Amazon are a bust, all having "DMX"/Microphone XLR cables, 110Ω impedance... Trying to search for a specific impedance cable seems to be completely ineffective. Any hints or specific places you guys shop for your gear? I always have unstable DMX performance, the longer my run gets, during Halloween. I found out that I have a mix of 120Ω and 110Ω cables, which seems fine for short runs but my run ends up reaching about 300' with close to 30 devices. I guess I should ask if this differential is enough to throw things out of whack or is it just because I am using cheap lights/cables. I read that 110Ω mic cable rounds off the wave form of the data from the DMX controller but I'm curious if it's enough to affect my setup. Any tips would be awesome!
    Last edited by absolom7691; 09-19-2022 at 07:46.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Nevermind. I just did a little more digging and found that 110Ω cable will do just fine. I also learned that mic cables are 45~75Ω. I may have some 45~75Ω cables in the mix since some companies will send out the same mic XLR cables passed off as DMX. I'll just need to check the impedance on all of my cables to make sure they're, in fact, DMX rated.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.