Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wireless DMX... questions

Reading up a bit more, I think I found the issue I was having with my Donners. Unfortunately, I don't think it's an issue I can fix. Since they operate in the 2.4GHz range, that poses an inherent problem. Every god damn thing under the sun uses the same band, Bluetooth, WiFi, mircowave ovens... Given that my Halloween setup is in the middle of a neighborhood, it's pretty clear why these would drop queues. It also makes sense why some people have great luck with these and others don't. It largely depends on what is going on around you as it pertains to RF pollution.

I would still like to go wireless but I nearly passed out when I saw the cost of the 900MHz DMX systems (very few available). Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm curious how hard it would be to build a 900MHz transmitter and a couple receivers. DigiKey has 900MHz transmitter kits available for projects...
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Have a look at this one. Havent tried it out myself, but it looks like it could be quite capable, especially that he writes that TX power can be increased from 10mW to 100mW

https://www.ulrichradig.de/home/index.php/dmx/dmx-funk

I think the board is for sale also in his store.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Have a look at this one. Havent tried it out myself, but it looks like it could be quite capable, especially that he writes that TX power can be increased from 10mW to 100mW

https://www.ulrichradig.de/home/index.php/dmx/dmx-funk

I think the board is for sale also in his store.
    That is freaking awesome!! Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely be checking this out!

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I'm curious how hard it would be to build a 900MHz transmitter and a couple receivers. DigiKey has 900MHz transmitter kits available for projects...
    A lot of the low cost transceiver sets you'll find don't support high enough sustained data rates to directly carry DMX, but you could probably do some compression (send deltas instead of full frames) or just drop the data rate or number of slots sent to reduce the required data rate.

At the pro level I hear that Lumen Radio is good, and Show Baby stuff has a good reputation, but sometimes there's just no getting around local RF congestion when you have to share bands with a million other devices.

** Edit **

The module comes with 433/868mhz transceiver. I haven't had my coffee yet!
    Last edited by absolom7691; 10-09-2020 at 07:39.

Quote Originally Posted by aberry View Post
    A lot of the low cost transceiver sets you'll find don't support high enough sustained data rates to directly carry DMX, but you could probably do some compression (send deltas instead of full frames) or just drop the data rate or number of slots sent to reduce the required data rate.
    The modules Dave linked are certainly cheap enough that if they don't suit my needs, I wouldn't have broken the bank. I am going to play around with these and see how they perform. Thanks for the suggestions!

Interested to get your thoughts if you end up grabbing those modules.

Another option might be wireless Artnet?
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Interested to get your thoughts if you end up grabbing those modules.

Another option might be wireless Artnet?
    Well, I would love to but they don't ship to the US soooooo... looks like I can't

I would like to stay away from wifi if I can.

Hi,
    when you talk about wireless DMX you also should take a look at Lumen Radio.
    2.4GHz, Automatic Mesh, Automatic Frequency hoppig...not cheap but it just works.
    Greetings
    Guido

www.mylaserpage.de

Default ***UPDATE***

I think I cracked the code on these Donner transceivers. I found out that these are true transceivers. Depending on how they are oriented they can be a transmitter or a receiver and they switch automatically. If they detect DMX data on the input, they will switch to xmitter mode. That being said, all DMX strings MUST have a terminator, and having one transmitter at the end of a string (as I had done originally) is a bad idea. Without a terminator, the DMX signal can reflect and switch the receiver to a xmitter. When it switches, if it's on the same wireless channel as any other receivers you might have (these have 6 channels to select from), the nearest receivers will start getting transmission from the receiver that just switched to xmitter. False cues and latency ensues. So, to sum up; use terminators and hook the transmitter to your DMX controller directly!

I ran a test in my house last year to see if I could get these to work. I made sure the line of sight was obstructed, I was streaming movies to a TV through WiFi and on a laptop. I had two separate bluetooth speakers going... I really wanted to clutter the 2.4GHz band to see if I could trip them up. They never missed a beat.

Last edited by absolom7691; 09-21-2022 at 07:29.