Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I set up an EtherDream 2 in LSX?

Default How do I set up an EtherDream 2 in LSX?

You'd think this would be easy to find, but there's so little information about this software online, that I can't find such a basic answer as how to set up an EtherDream 2 in LSX. Even in the PDF manual, the only thing it says about setting up a DAC is in the window where you assign it to a timeline, and for me the "Unassigned Devices" section is empty. I checked in Wireshark and it doesn't appear to be sending out any broadcast packets to find devices on the network, so I can only assume it's only scanning for USB devices. The EtherDream 2 does have USB, but it says on the website that that's only for firmware updates. So where do I go to manually add a network device, like by specifying its IP address? I've gone over what I believe is every single menu option and I don't see this anywhere. I do see an "EtherDream" check box in the window, but nothing happens when I check it, and if I click Rescan with it checked then it just unchecks again.

Surely someone knows how to do this.

EDIT: I tried running the diagnostic tool on the EtherDream website, which does detect the device. I also tried disabling the Windows firewall, but that didn't fix it either.
    Last edited by flarn2006; 06-07-2018 at 19:39.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

if the sitter app cannot find the etherdream on the network, you either still have a problem with your windows firewall, or you have a problem with your network.

it should be exactly as simple as:

1) plug the etherdream into your switch
    2) plug your computer into your switch.
    3) let them both grab an IP from your dhcp server.
    4) click the timeline / dac assignment icon.
    5) click "ethredream" under the "enable controller type"
    6) hit "Rescan"
    7) drag the "etheredream" from "unassigned controllers" to timeline 1.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I think you might have misread my post; I said the Sitter app does detect it. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by flarn2006 View Post
    I think you might have misread my post; I said the Sitter app does detect it. Sorry
    right...

if the sitter app does not see the etherdream, you either have a problem with the firewall on your computer or with your network.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Yes, and that's not the case. The sitter app does see the etherdream. Lol

Yes, and that's not the case. The sitter app does see the etherdream. Lol
    please diagram your network topology.

I do see an "EtherDream" check box in the window, but nothing happens when I check it, and if I click Rescan with it checked then it just unchecks again.
    I find this interesting. The check box should not uncheck when you press rescan. I wonder if the unchecking is happening right before the scan, therefore not scanning for Etherdream.

What version of LSX are you running?

Also if the ED2 firmware the most current? I know when the ED2 first came out the firmware had communications issues with LSX. This was corrected in the most current firmware.
    Last edited by SaltyRobot; 06-08-2018 at 08:36.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    please diagram your network topology.
    It's a little complicated. I have Verizon FiOS, which uses MoCA to send a wired connection to the cable boxes and the router, but I also have another router from them acting as a MoCA bridge/secondary access point, plugged into a coaxial connection. My EtherDream is connected to one of the Ethernet ports on this router. In practice, this is pretty transparent; devices connected to the secondary access point appear on the network no different from devices connected to the main one.

In addition, I'm running LaserShow Xpress in VirtualBox, as my computer runs Linux, not Windows. I have the virtual network adapter set to Bridged though, meaning it appears on the network as a separate computer. As sitter.exe has no problem detecting the device, I don't believe this is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    I find this interesting. The check box should not uncheck when you press rescan. I wonder if the unchecking is happening right before the scan, therefore not scanning for Etherdream.

What version of LSX are you running?

Also if the ED2 firmware the most current? I know when the ED2 first came out the firmware had communications issues with LSX. This was corrected in the most current firmware.
    It says I'm running LSX version 20180422.

I'm not sure about the firmware; I'll check that later on.

It was already on the latest firmware. Thanks anyway though.

i wonder if you're having a file permissions issue...

check permissions on Documents -> My LSX Files -> Autoload Settings

if there are any files in the "DAC Settings" directory, delete them and restart LSX.