Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass disks for Lumia, plus other parts

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I agree with everyone. Price is key (well.... sorta ) And, like them I already have all kinds of glass, and wheels, and lenticular plastic, and torture tubes - made and unmade - and motors, and doorknobs, and crystals, and controllers, and circle cutter, and other glass cutters, and oil, and..... But yes, I'd likely buy some of your stuff too.
    Time. That's the real commodity here. Can you sell "spare time"? If so, I'm interested!
    PM Sent...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GRN05GT View Post
    almost all of the glass I have collected is samples and scraps. I take one of my 532nm pointers with me to check them out.
    Many years ago Greg did a Lumia presentation at SELEM, and when talking about how to find good glass samples for Lumia he suggested taking a green laser pointer with you to the hardware store to "demo" the various shower glass that they have available.

So as far as cost for cut and drilled discs, 3-4 inches, I don't see the above quoted price of $8-$10 as being unrealistic.
    Just a suggestion: you may not need to drill a hole in the center. The wheel I got from Greg had a plastic "top hat" that was glued to the center with some epoxy. (JB-Quick) The wide, flat part was stuck to the glass, and the tall, narrow part had a 2 mm hole to accept the shaft of a drive motor...

this would be what in my RC aircraft hobby would be called a "short kit". Most of what you need, all the electronics, power supply for the motor, some discs and maybe some type of motor mount to get it up and running within 30 minutes to an hour!
    That is actually quite a bit more kit than I was expecting, but that's a good thing!

Mounting platform or enclosure, lasers and and laser mounts would be up to the user.
    Agreed.

I will try to get some videos of the different patterns and wavelengths.
    I would love to see the cyan/yellow mix!

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    The problem with shower glass is it it tempered so it explodes if cut or so I have been told. Didn't try it myself.
    You are correct in that glass can not be cut once it has been tempered. If you try to cut tempered glass it will instantly shatter into hundreds of tiny pieces.

However, not all of the bumpy, marbled-looking glass you find in stores is tempered. That's why you are able to cut it. But you do need to check first, before you buy the glass, because if it *is* tempered you won't ever be able to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Time. That's the real commodity here. Can you sell "spare time"? If so, I'm interested!
    That would be a booming business indeed! (Selling time...)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    . . like them I already have all kinds of glass, and wheels, and lenticular plastic, and torture tubes - made and unmade - and motors, and doorknobs, and crystals, and controllers, and circle cutter, and other glass cutters . . .
    The list of what Brad doesn’t own is much shorter than the list of what he already has. 🤭
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

....I give the glass shop guys free $3 green pointers--and they save scrap glass that cuts easy.
    ..and later I can give a 405 or red--all $3 free$hip these days.

I never felt the need to drill holes--JB weld-on plastic 'mushroom'.

BTW anyone ever see a 532 penpointer laser 'turn' yellow (to our/my eyes) in the presence of an Argon blue running in same area? I need to repeat that---just in case it was just me.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-