Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big green modules for projection: OPSL vs DPSS? ~10W to ~15W

>Hi Laserpower (what is your actual name?)
    My name is Poul Moeller. Have worked with laser systems since 1992, ION, YAG, copper laser.... you name it. Been thu alot over the years. :-)

www.laserpower.dk & www.lasershow.dk

So now that I have determined the correct path thanks to all of you, I have narrowed it down to two 532nm DPSS suppliers:

1.) CNI
    2.) Laserwave

Does anyone have thoughts on these companies' 532nm DPSS in the 5W+ range? If you have the 10W versions even better!

My experience is as follows:
    - My 5W CNI has far better beam specs than my 5W laserwave - there is a clear visible difference, especially when projecting graphics. Power measured about the same.
    - CNI has confirmed with me that there is indeed a heat + cool TEC system in their 10W modules. Laserwave seems elusive in emails about this, all they do is ask me about operating temp without answering the question. So I am assuming no.
    - My laserwave module seems to dump A LOT of heat onto the baseplate even when not outputting a beam. Like silly amounts.. seems to be cooling the entire metal housing which is cold to the touch (seems inefficient?). This is obviously important for these high powers.
    - Both offer 1 year warranties. I have heard customer service from Laserwave is great, but honestly I am getting equal responsiveness from CNI. And when one of my laserwave modules overheated (granted, my fault) they charged me $750 to replace the KTP crystal.. felt a bit high but I don't have experience with DPSS. This one is probably not a good reason I admit.

Anyone else have opinions?

If the price is similar, I'd go with CNI. Personal opinion only, insert standard disclaimer...

Adam

I think for similar price you could get a pure diode module with wide beam diameter but low divergence and use that with a 10mm aperture Scannermax 506. You could ask few companies how much divergence they can achieve at 10mm because the poor divergence for 10W green is like only 6mm.

I would use DT40 with 10mm aperture or something similar, these are faster than C506.
    We can offer 520nm modules , 10W with 5x5mm <1mrad full angle.
    BR
    Phillip

Quote Originally Posted by Phritzler View Post
    I would use DT40 with 10mm aperture or something similar, these are faster than C506.
    You just planted seeds for a flamewar by making that claim. Or maybe I did by quoting it. shit.

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Some quick thoughts:
    OPSL's are great... but they're not perfect + don't last forever (we've had a few just randomly die or massively drop off in output power).
    However apart from that they're really quite good Only 2 in the 30-40 we've got have had issues (both greens).

BUT: Most high power DPSS Chinese units I've seen work great and have nice beams, but after a couple of years just fade away to failure.

Jenlas thin disc lasers seem to hold the test of time (but they don't make 10-15W models). You could combine 2x though?

3W OPSL vs 10W DPSS same £ for £? I'd take the 10W (as long as it doesn't have a PSU + driver the size of a house)

Go with whatever value is best for you. Don't think you have to get OPSL because it's OPSL.
    Either way... don't count on any option lasting >3-5yrs!
    What do you do with the died off OPSL lasers? Send them back for a refurb or sell them off cheaper?

Yea send your junk to me!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Yea send your junk to me!
    you should never say that on the internet.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Jokes aside from what I know green DPSSs have tighter beam but if you don't mind thicker beams going to your scanners you can get lower divergence pure diode modules in the same power range. The advantage then with pure diode is longer lifespan and disadvantage is need to realign module mirrors occasionally during that long lifespan.