Thread: Need Help Choosing my first ILDA Projector

Default Need Help Choosing my first ILDA Projector

So I'm in the market for an ILDA RGB Laser projector. Upon my research I know i want the modulation to be analog. I want Scanner to be at least 30K. My budget is about 1000, more or less (pref less obviously). I will be using Ether Dream for the DAC with Touchdesigner:

https://ether-dream.com/

I've been here lurking around and I found that my best bet if for a Chinese brand form either Goldenstar or LightSpace. I am now deciding between these three:

http://www.lightspaceusa.com/venus-oem-1-800.html
    http://goldenstarlaser.com/index.php...product_id=285
    http://goldenstarlaser.com/index.php...product_id=475

What is your opinion? Maybe there is another brand worth considering? Is 30K vs 40K a huge difference? Need to buy this asap, for a show. Thanks.
    Last edited by blabberbytes; 06-22-2018 at 15:43.

Lightspace is out of the venus 1800, So I was thinking of going with goldenstar. Is there any other brands worth considering? Also How do i contact VJ Aiwaz for a quote? Thanks
    Last edited by blabberbytes; 06-27-2018 at 08:59.

Quote Originally Posted by blabberbytes View Post
    So I'm in the market for an ILDA RGB Laser projector.
    Welcome to PhotonLexicon! Please fill out your profile information so people know where you're located. It helps people provide accurate information specific to your country. It also enables people to offer personal assistance if they see that they are close by to your location.

Given that you linked to the Lightwave USA website, I'm assuming you are located in the USA. With that in mind, you need to understand that any laser projector that you intend to introduce into commerce (that is, do a public show with) must be certified under a laser product manufacturer's variance issued by the CDRH. The goldenstar projectors you linked to are not legal for use in the USA. (They have not been certified compliant under a manufacturer's variance.)

Additionally, no matter which projector you purchase, you will also need to obtain a laser light show variance for yourself (or your company) before you can use a certified projector in public. This variance is also issued by the CDRH.

Maybe there is another brand worth considering?
    I would recommend looking at the X-laser Mobile Beat Mirage. It's close to your budget, it has 30K scanners, it has analog color modulation, and it has excellent beam specs. More importantly, it is a certified projector *and* you can get your laser light show variance through X-Laser by purchasing their EZ-Variance kit.

Is 30K vs 40K a huge difference?
    Not really, no. In fact, running 30K content at 40K can sometimes look worse. That's because advanced artists use a technique called "pulling points" to wring every last ounce of performance out of a set of 30K scanners. But if you scan artwork that contains pulled points at a speed greater than 30K, this destroys the effect. (The basic technique is to move points far enough out that the scanners never reach them; the goal is to rely on the scanners smooth ballistic motion to draw a sweeping curve with just a few points. Scanning too fast makes the curve look bumpy, jagged, and pointy.)

Need to buy this asap, for a show. Thanks.
    Depending on how soon the show is, you may not be able to obtain your variance in time. X-Laser usually gets their customers' variances approved in a week or two, but this is all dependent on how backed up the CDRH is. Some people have had to wait longer than that in the past. And if you don't have your variance, or if the projector is not certified, the show will be illegal. Period.

Granted, the chances of the CDRH actually inspecting your show (out of the many other shows going on across the country) is low. But many fire marshals are also educated on the requirements of 21 CFR 1040, as are some venue managers. Bottom line: don't take the risk. If you are caught doing a show illegally, all your equipment can be legally seized, plus the fines are crippling. And getting your variance approved after being caught is going to be very difficult indeed...

Another thing to consider is any state regulations you may run afoul of. In particular, if you live in Arizona or New York, you'll need extra training / certification before you can do the show (even if you already have your laser light show variance and are using a certified projector). You mentioned PL member "VJ Aiwaz", who is located in New York. If he is local to you, he can explain the New York State laser requirements in detail.

If any of this applies to you, your best option would be to hire someone who is legal to do the show with/for you. Additionally, I know Florida also has some restrictions on bringing lasers into the state, but I'm not up on the rules for all 50 states. You'll need to check with your state's own regulatory body to be sure.

Adam

Thanks for the tips Adam, I filled out my profile.

I read somewhere that VJ Aiwaz can help with CDRH Variance Application with goldenstar products? Not sure if that is accurate information. Truth is my budget is about 1000, but I can go a bit higher than that but not by much. Also the show will be located at the end of July 2018 in Oakland Ca. Thanks again.

Cool

Thanks for filling out your profile! We've got a few members here on the forums who are near your location. Hopefully one of them will chime in here with some additional tips. (If you fancy a trip to Chico, you could meet up with Neutrino and learn about lasers and SCUBA at the same time! Cool guy, that one...)

I was not aware that VJ Aiwaz had filed a product report for the Goldenstar projectors, and a brief search on regulations.gov didn't turn up a product report for anything related to Goldenstar. But it's still possible that he's done it under a different name. Best to check with him directly.

Your budget ceiling is going to be tight, but since you already have a controller and software you should *just* be able to make it. Couple questions about the show though:

1) How many people (rough estimate)?
    2) Graphics or beams?
    3) Can you control the light levels in the venue? (This is *really* important!)

With the show coming up in about a month, it's going to be close. You'd probably need to make your purchase in the next week to be sure that you'll have your paperwork in hand before the show starts. Alternately, you could contract with a laserist in your area to do this one show with you. That would give you more time to make a decision about what you want to buy.

Adam

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

it's my understanding that VJ Aiwaz is a distributor for lightspace. I haven't heard anything about goldenstar.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Thanks for filling out your profile! We've got a few members here on the forums who are near your location. Hopefully one of them will chime in here with some additional tips. (If you fancy a trip to Chico, you could meet up with Neutrino and learn about lasers and SCUBA at the same time! Cool guy, that one...)

I was not aware that VJ Aiwaz had filed a product report for the Goldenstar projectors, and a brief search on regulations.gov didn't turn up a product report for anything related to Goldenstar. But it's still possible that he's done it under a different name. Best to check with him directly.

Your budget ceiling is going to be tight, but since you already have a controller and software you should *just* be able to make it. Couple questions about the show though:

1) How many people (rough estimate)?
    2) Graphics or beams?
    3) Can you control the light levels in the venue? (This is *really* important!)

With the show coming up in about a month, it's going to be close. You'd probably need to make your purchase in the next week to be sure that you'll have your paperwork in hand before the show starts. Alternately, you could contract with a laserist in your area to do this one show with you. That would give you more time to make a decision about what you want to buy.

Adam
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Interesting... I thought that Walt Meador (Laser Rentals, out of Missouri) was the US distributor for Lightspace.?. Or do they have more than one these days?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    it's my understanding that VJ Aiwaz is a distributor for lightspace. I haven't heard anything about goldenstar.
    Well I dunno, but I found the information here:

https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sho...-or-Lightspace

Anyways any more help is welcomed on the variation process with Goldenstar. Thanks
    Last edited by blabberbytes; 06-29-2018 at 17:07.

Hi, I've same question, I'm experienced lighting person but don't have enough experience with lasers. I'm looking a kind of economic computer controlable laser devices (probably install 2) for night club (permanent installation) and 1)Aproximetely 500-600 people in 400m2, 2)Both of them 3)We have fully lighting control inside but there is LED screen also.
    What is a star without light?

ok just to clear up a few things no i am not a lightspace dealer or re seller

and no there is no cdrh paper on the goldenstar projectors ordered from Asia

but yes i am a goldenstar dealer and my product report is under Clubcat-HP and partyblaster(although i haven't used that one in a while)
    so golden star manufactures my product to my spec but then ships it un wired to my shop in ny as n oem product where i add all the cdrh requirements (cdrh time delay /estop/ interlocks etc all in my approved product report ) although i do have the silk screened with my logos and cdrh info at golden star ) then they must pass Q/A also on file with fda