Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any way to get LaserOS working on an EtherDream?

Default Any way to get LaserOS working on an EtherDream?

Not officially, I'm sure, as the LaserDock hardware it's designed to work with is made by the same company. But with the right compatibility layer to emulate the protocol, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Something akin to the software ReVive, which lets you play games designed for the Oculus Rift using the competing HTC Vive headset instead, even though Oculus would much rather have their exclusives.

If such a thing doesn't exist, can someone please point me to the documentation for the protocol LaserDock uses? Maybe I could write the software myself. All it would need to do I'm sure would be to process the data from LaserOS (or whatever software it is) the same way the LaserDock hardware would, then send the proper commands to the EtherDream that would make it do the same thing.

LaserOS isn't intended to be used with other hardware.

Yeah, that's why I said "not officially". I'm more asking if anyone's figured out how to get it to work anyway, despite it not being an intended use of the software. I don't mind using it on hardware it wasn't designed for; that's better than not being able to use it at all.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

why not buy the laserdock? it's fairly inexpensive and will work with any projector that supports ILDA input.

Quote Originally Posted by flarn2006 View Post
    Yeah, that's why I said "not officially". I'm more asking if anyone's figured out how to get it to work anyway, despite it not being an intended use of the software. I don't mind using it on hardware it wasn't designed for; that's better than not being able to use it at all.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I don't mind using it on hardware it wasn't designed for; that's better than not being able to use it at all.
    Not for the people trying to make money selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Not for the people trying to make money selling it.
    exactly!

(and some obligatory text)
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Are you those people? Sorry if I sound rude; I see the point you're trying to make, and I understand, but that's just one side of the issue. Wouldn't more people stand to gain from a compatibility layer like that being available, even if the LaserDock manufacturers / LaserOS developers aren't among them? You're free to take whichever side you want on this issue of course, and I don't mean to criticize your choice; I'm just very surprised as I was sure this forum would mostly be on the same side as myself. After all, which would benefit the community more? More choice in hardware...or a company being able to continue benefiting from exclusivity they've so far been lucky enough to hold on to? It seems like a no-brainer to me, but maybe there's something I'm missing, because you seem to be reacting to my idea almost with hostility. So what am I missing here?

As for why I don't want to buy a LaserDock, I already bought a ~$1000 laser projector and a ~$200 Ether Dream DAC, and I'd really rather not spend another $199 on a LaserDock when I already have a perfectly good DAC.
    Last edited by flarn2006; 06-23-2018 at 11:34.

On the technical side, I don’t think an emulation layer would be practical. Laserdock/OS is tightly optimized for minimal latency between audio input and laser projection. Emulation will add latency. Will be be noticeable? Almost certainly.

Since LaserOS downloads are free, no one would buy the hardware if there was a hacked emulation layer and the company would quickly abandon the project.

Why don’t you give pangolin a call and ask them to make Quickshow or Beyond work on an etherdream.... I imagine they would disagree with your philosophy.

It would be great to see a best of all worlds unification of hardware and software. It will never happen.

We can’t even get all companies to support ilda export...

Are you those people? Sorry if I sound rude; I see the point you're trying to make, and I understand, but that's just one side of the issue. Wouldn't more people stand to gain from a compatibility layer like that being available, even if the LaserDock manufacturers / LaserOS developers aren't among them? You're free to take whichever side you want on this issue of course, and I don't mean to criticize your choice; I'm just very surprised as I was sure this forum would mostly be on the same side as myself. After all, which would benefit the community more? More choice in hardware...or a company being able to continue benefiting from exclusivity they've so far been lucky enough to hold on to? It seems like a no-brainer to me, but maybe there's something I'm missing, because you seem to be reacting to my idea almost with hostility. So what am I missing here?

As for why I don't want to buy a LaserDock, I already bought a ~$1000 laser projector and a ~$200 Ether Dream DAC, and I'd really rather not spend another $199 on a LaserDock when I already have a perfectly good DAC.

I thought the LaserDoc was cheaper than the Etherdream? I paid $99 for my LaserDoc, but I did get it right when it was first released, so maybe that was just the introductory price?

Still, I own several different controllers besides the LaserDoc. I bought the LaserDoc just to get the cool auto-visualizations. (Even though I have several QM-2000's and can already use the Winamp Laser Visualizer plug-in.) That being said, I think the LaserDoc was worth buying.

First lesson that everyone learns: Lasers are an expensive hobby... (Unfortunately)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I thought the LaserDoc was cheaper than the Etherdream? I paid $99 for my LaserDoc, but I did get it right when it was first released, so maybe that was just the introductory price?

Still, I own several different controllers besides the LaserDoc. I bought the LaserDoc just to get the cool auto-visualizations. (Even though I have several QM-2000's and can already use the Winamp Laser Visualizer plug-in.) That being said, I think the LaserDoc was worth buying.

First lesson that everyone learns: Lasers are an expensive hobby... (Unfortunately)

Adam
    The price went up considerably after the initial crowdfunding. Maybe it had something to do with losing their USA market share due to regs or maybe there wasn't as much interest as they planned. I know they did want to sell it really cheap so that it would get into the hands of a lot of people.