Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A big YAG followed me home

Here's a reply from Spectra-Physics, to my inquiry about schematics and/or manual:

I regret to inform you that product is obsolete so we do not support it any longer.
    Also we do not hand out schematics due to liability issues.
    Try to find an older manual, it had schematics inside. Make sure it is for the correct model.

Pretty much as I'd expected, but one has to ask. At least there's one useful bit of information - the old manuals did include schematics.
    As with so many companies, up until sometime in the 1980s there were decent, civilized engineers in charge, who understood they had a moral duty to provide schematics when they sold machines. Then later the lawyers took over, and "sorry, 'liability issues', no schematics for you."

Well then. Has anyone here ever seen an 'older manual' for these quanta-ray machines? Any ever been scanned?
    If you have a spare paper copy with schematics, I'd l like to buy it. It would get scanned and posted.

In other news, I discovered that some time in the last decade this machine was exposed to water. Maybe just dripping on one part of the control panel. Result: water got into one of the meters. I'd noticed the face plate in one meter was a little corroded. Thinking it was just on the dial plate I opened it up for cleaning. Urrgh! There'd been a pool of water inside the case for a while at some point. Meter movement is completely destroyed. The other meter has very very slight corrosion, but is functional.
    I'm still keeping in mind a faint possibility of restoring the machine to function (if my friend decides he doesn't want the head optics after all) so now will see if I have a compatible meter movement in my old meters collection. Maybe. Meanwhile, scanned and photoshopped the corroded meter face. The 'cleaned up' image is not finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181029_1517.jpg  

20181029_1519.jpg  

20181030_1525.jpg  

meter_dial_scan.jpg  

meter_dial_tidying.jpg