Thread: Beyond Live! Call for presenters @SELEM 2018

Default Beyond Live! Call for presenters @SELEM 2018

Hi all,

Looks like I'm going to try again with the Beyond Live demo that I've seemingly failed to deliver these last several years. I use Beyond entirely live, for better or worse, and have been asked to demo for people. I know there are likely people who also use it in this fashion who may have ideas or methodology they could share. So, if anyone's interested, 3pm Friday at SELEM I'll be talking about Beyond in a live context and I'd love for anyone with any knowledge on the subject to share also step up and do so.

Things I'll cover:
    Beyond basic theory of operation (players, cue, zone, protrack, master)
    Use of flash, flash solo, etc
    Use of delayed zone effects
    Building one-shot cues
    Mirroring, waves, etc.
    Basic Universe stuff

Anyone else like to chime in on a topic related to using Beyond in a live context? Anyone have tips/tricks to share?

This sounds great, Rick! Looking forward to it!

Adam

Are you talking about using Beyond with the APC console or some other "Live" feature?
    I have a console and would love to learn more about it.

I think "using Midi controllers" is an integral part of the whole "using Beyond in a live environment" that Rick plans to talk about. However, he is also planning to go over how to set up and trigger various effects that are really useful for live shows.

I'm pretty sure Rick uses the APC 40 mark II for his rig, but it really doesn't matter which Midi controller you have. The process of "training" the controller to link various buttons to effects is the same for all Midi devices. It's more useful to understand *which* controls or effects should be mapped in the first place, and then how you can use those controls to create a cool looking live show.

Rick has spent a lot of time working with Beyond. His custom Beyond universe is really amazing. I know I'm looking forward to learning some new tricks from him!

Adam

Still using the APC40 MK1. But I've also setup and use regularly:
    Behringer X-Touch Compact
    Korg nanokontrol and nanokontrol2
    APC Mini
    Novation LaunchPad

I'd be happy to cover MIDI devices, however there are people far more qualified than I to really dive in. Advanced topics could be things like using a MIDI filter at the OS level to do some tricky stuff with routing and interpreting midi signals, ganging more than 4 devices together for use simultaneously, etc. Anyone have experience with stuff like MIDI-Yoke, or whatever the current, preferred filter is these days?

This sounds awesome, count me in! I have developed a lot of cool stuff in my workspace this year that I could share / walk through -
    - Configuring nonlinear color correction and color mixing settings, working with color palettes in cues/effects
    - Working with Bome's MIDI Translator for more advanced MIDI routing outside of beyond, using 4 or more controllers, switching controller personalities, etc
    - Automation of parameters via universe/pangoscript, and scripting of that to create new effects
    - Using some of the new beyond 4 stuff ("groups" mode + 'destination' and 'multi-effect' cues)

Sharing ideas like this has always been my best inspiration to build new stuff, this should be a lot of fun! If any of you want to color calibrate any of your projectors, that could be a workable group activity too; I have a few test pattern cues I'm happy to share that make evaluating your settings much easier.