Thread: Poorly Ignis 660

Default Poorly Ignis 660

So, bought an Ignis 660 in supposedly working order with a defective driver. Went through the driver but couldn't really find anything wrong with it, but did find that it won't put any current through the diode without an external mod signal; the LQ application does indicate 100% current, but checking the sense resistor shows no voltage without the mod signal, so perhaps that is the 'fault'.
    Anyway, with a mod signal applied, I was getting less than 1 mW; I carefully tweaked the KTP temp to find all the peaks, the best peak gave me 6mW. I then tuned the diode temperature but found it was already optimal. So, I have a 500mW rated 660nm head doing 6mW I checked the diode current and it's circa 7.5A at 100% drive.
    Checking the interface, the elapsed time shows about 30K hours, so I guess it's well and truly worn out. Can the diode be replaced in these, or is it a moderately expensive paperweight?

Its just a cmount diode...but it’d be quite a task to realign everything. If you really want one though I have one that I might be coaxed into selling.

Huh... A DPSS red laser at 660 nm? I thought they were all 671 nm?

That being said, I know lots of people have changed out the pump diode on their DPSS systems, no matter the output wavelength. I would imagine this would be a similar task.

Adam

The Ignis and GEM lasers need a 12V 8A or more supply. People can ruin them running on a supply that will not output the required current. Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

Thanks Phil, I'm aware that it needs a beefy PSU. This laser is basically worn out, probably to be expected at 30 000 hours! I'll certainly have a go at swapping the pump diode, I have nothing to loose.
    ultimatekaiser I would be interested in the pump diode, is it the specific one used in these heads?

As far as I remember they just use a regular couple watts 808 c-mount, I’d have to check.

Sam has a diagram of the interior on his site. I vaguely remember fixing one of these a while back...It was quite a pain. They use a small L-fold cavity.

http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/sam/lqgmcav1.jpg