Thread: SELEM 2018 - Room Scale Virtual Reality

Default SELEM 2018 - Room Scale Virtual Reality

For anyone interested, there is a room scale VR (HTC Vive) setup in Studio C for whenever drones are not buzzing around. There are various kinds of games, from escape rooms to arcade-shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by cellomaestro View Post
    For anyone interested, there is a room scale VR (HTC Vive) setup in Studio C for whenever drones are not buzzing around. There are various kinds of games, from escape rooms to arcade-shooters.
    Wait, what? Seriously? Room scale virtual reality? How is it that we didn't know about this? Because that sounds awesome!

If this is still set up tomorrow, someone please come grab me and take me to where it is. I had no idea anyone was bringing anything like this. ( this is something we should have added to the schedule!)

Adam

Thank you again for bringing this, it was an incredible experience

sounds like I missed a lot-- will this be at the next SELEM??
    hope all made it home safely.len
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

I saw the setup ln the classroom...after the fact...please, please, please, bring this back again!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I didn't understand this post when I first saw it. But... after having discovered this magical room, I know several of us are now going into further debt. :-) Pretty amazing stuff!
    PM Sent...

I agree! This was amazing! I'm probably going to get one as well.

So, for those of you who missed it, what Kelvin had set up in the first classroom upstairs from the gallery was a gaming PC with an HTC Vive VR system and several VR-enabled games. You wear a headset that has a high-res display for each eye and a bunch of tracking sensors on it. The display is 3D and completely immersive. The tracking is accomplished by a pair of cubes mounted on tripods. They create a 15 ft square box that you can move around in. The cubes also track the two controllers you hold in your hands.

Once you put everything on, the headphones block out all the noise from the room, and all you see is what is in the game. You can walk around (provided you stay inside the 15 ft square box) and as you move your hands, they are rendered in the game in the correct positions. It's amazingly convincing!

For moving around in spaces larger than 15 ft wide, you have a "teleport" ability that is controlled by one of the controllers. It's super-easy to use, and within a minute or two it becomes second nature. So now you can move around in the 3D world, interacting with everything around you, while watching everything in the high-def, stereoscopic 3D headset. Cool doesn't even begin to explain the experience!

Perhaps the best news is that it's not nearly as expensive as you might think. Sure, you need a decent graphics card, but an Nvidia 980 is good enough, and they only run about $225 these days. The host PC doesn't need to be anything special, but you do want plenty of ram. As for the VR hardware, the entire HTC Vive set costs $500. That gets you the goggles, the hand controllers, all the wires and interconnects, plus the basic software to make it work. Then you just need to buy the games you want.

So, since I already have a 980 GFX card, yeah - I'm probably going to get one of these! I just need to figure out where I'm going to put the tracking modules first...

Adam

welcome to the world of vr once you get a bit used to vr: meet me in VRchat!