Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Co2 Laser Re-Gas discussion

Default Co2 Laser Re-Gas discussion

Any one tried at re gassing a co2 laser ?

Yes. It can be done, and it’s RELATIVELY straightforward as far as reprocessing goes, but it’s rarely worth the effort and expense involved; in many cases it’s both easier and less expensive to just pop in a new tube. For the most part, tubes on CO2 lasers are regarded as a consumable.

Just out of curiosity, why?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

RF excited and medical tubes are done all the time. I've pumped one DC tube myself, but I do not have Xenon and Carbon Monoxide on station, so lifetime was short.

Steve

I processed the GTE Sylvania / Spectra-Physics / Line Lite Laser line of sealed CO2 lasers in the early '80s. Still have the formula in a file I'm sure.

Totally right, Steve- medical is a whole different story.
    ...BIG material processing gear- Sure.
    ...RF excited tubes of decent power- Sure.
    Glass tubes for a far-east desktop cutter- nah.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    I processed the GTE Sylvania / Spectra-Physics / Line Lite Laser line of sealed CO2 lasers in the early '80s. Still have the formula in a file I'm sure.
    ... d'you feel like looking for it?

Viktor

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

It is excitation, cooling, catalyst, tube and optics dependent. RF tubes get a different mixture that self catalyzes in a different way then DC tubes.
    ~
    I'll give you an example based on three RF heads I own...
    ~
    Diffusion Cooled RF lasers start with the ratio of 3:1:1 + 5% Helium, Carbon Dioxide, Nitrogen then add Xenon at 5% of best fill pressure.
    ~
    Then traces of Carbon Monoxide, Hydrogen, Argon, Oxygen, and/ or Water Vapor can be added, but what is used is design and catalyst dependent. Each manufacturer tweaks the mixture for best lifetime. Three One One is only a starting guide used in laser research. Helium is sometimes added all the way out to 8:1:1.
    ~
    With a Gold catalyst, you can expect nearly 1% Carbon Monoxide.
    ~
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason for all the tweaking is to control the percentage of disassociated Co2 in the tube plasma to near optimum at 40-50%.

----------------------

Old flowing gas medical systems using DC and water cooling use: 9.5% CO2, 13% nitrogen, and 77% Helium, sometimes with a trace of Xenon.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Laser Warning is it possible to get the gas formula ?

ive got all the equipment needed and partially sucsesfull at recharging and old 40 watt tube,
    but i only get about 50% power
    any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sinfocomp View Post
    ive got all the equipment needed and partially sucsesfull at recharging and old 40 watt tube,
    but i only get about 50% power
    any thoughts?
    We need more info. What kind of tube? What were your processing steps+times? Do you have diagnostic or instrumentation data from your vacuum+gas handling system?

Quote Originally Posted by CountFunkula View Post
    We need more info. What kind of tube? What were your processing steps+times? Do you have diagnostic or instrumentation data from your vacuum+gas handling system?
    First i pull vacumm to 0.01torr, then fill to atm using c02, then pull vacumm to 0.1torr again (to flush the tube), then i add the laser mix to atm, then i set my psu to the correct current for tube and pull vacumm to get the most power output, run tube for 1 hr , let sit 24hrs and re adjust vacumm as necesary to obtain peak power, seal tube, done.