Thread: mapping of MIDI keys to trigger SFX loops

Default mapping of MIDI keys to trigger SFX loops

Hi again,
    I am trying to get midi triggering of SFX loops to work consistently.

First time I tried it worked without a problem, but when I am trying to set it up in a different project nothing is triggered, so I am trying to figure out what I am doing differently.

First, I am using another software as midi controller via loopMIDI which creates virtual MIDI ports. LSX recognizes the incoming MIDI without any issues.

I create some SFX loops and save them.

I send midi notes from my software and the edit MIDI key number window comes up.
    I click load SFX cue, select my cue and click ok.

I start the show, pause it where there is nothing going on in the timeline (I guess there is a more elegant way of doing this?), then trigger the sfx cues with midi.
    This works fine in the first project both with external midi and the built in midi keyboard.

In the other project nothing happens when I try to trigger the SFX cues, although I have checked many times that the mappings are correct (and they show up on the midikeyboard when I click on the corresponding note).

Any clue why this works in one project and not in the other?

Related questions:

Is the only way of knowing which midi key is mapped to which SFX loop to send the midinote so the MIDI key number window opens? Actually you donīt really see anything then either, you either need to edit the SFX cue (to see the name) or create a screenshot (which might not be so helpful if you have several SFX loops which are just small variations of each other).

According to the living manual you can create a screenshot while creating midi mappings by clicking on edit sfx cue and then click on screenshot, but that doesnīt work for me:
    The only way I have figured out how to get the MIDI key number window to open is while the show is not running, and to get a screenshot the show needs to be running/paused to have an image in the preview window.
    So the way I have done it is to start the timeline then pause it, move the timeline cursor to the sfxloop, open the sfxloop, click screenshot and then save it.

It would be really useful to have a list of the mapping of the MIDI keys to SFX cues, so hopefully this exists already?

thanks,
    hc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midi-setup.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	54378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midi-mapped-to-sfxloop.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	54379

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by HCG View Post

I start the show, pause it where there is nothing going on in the timeline (I guess there is a more elegant way of doing this?), then trigger the sfx cues with midi.
    This might be where your problem is but I'm not sure. Since an SFX file might be considered as a "mini timeline", it needs a set time for it to run through its contents. I did a quick experiment and it appears LSX uses the time between the start (blue) and end (red) cursor as its time range for SFX cues. If you set all keys automatically, this would be one second. If you are in the default empty show at startup, SFX loops take ten seconds to play. If you pause the show, the SFX is also paused.

Only other thing I can think of is the MIDI key offset, but that should be global across show files.

Quote Originally Posted by HCG View Post

Is the only way of knowing which midi key is mapped to which SFX loop to send the midinote so the MIDI key number window opens? Actually you donīt really see anything then either, you either need to edit the SFX cue (to see the name) or create a screenshot (which might not be so helpful if you have several SFX loops which are just small variations of each other).
    You can go to the Masterbeam window and click Create all bitmaps. This will play all notes in a loop and take a screenshot. Don't forget to click Save images when it's done.

Triggering SFX cues directly with MIDI notes instead of as events on the timeline is still WIP though, so there's a good probability you encounter bugs or odd behaviour. For starters, it's not polyphonic in any way :P I'm unsure what drlava's plans are with this feature.

EDIT: disregard what I said. I did some more experimenting and it appears there is indeed a bug!

Reproduce:

(A) This works

- New show
    - Click first key, dialog opens
    - Load SFX Cue
    - Repeat for as many keys as desired
    - Playing show and triggering notes will trigger their corresponding SFX cues without issues

(B) This doesn't

- New show
    - Click key, dialog opens
    - Set all keys automatically, close dialog
    - Click key, dialog opens
    - Load SFX Cue
    - Repeat loading SFX cues for as many keys as desired
    - Playing show and triggering notes will only trigger the goto desired timeline range, but will NOT play the loaded SFX cues

TBH I never use this feature, but always place my SFX events on the timeline directly. Best way is to open the SFX browser window with the button on the left pane, select an SFX and double click on the timeline to load it in.
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 08-03-2018 at 07:41.

Thanks for taking the time to test this. I will follow your advice and put sfx directly on the timeline instead of triggering sfx cues directly from midi.

Also thanks for the video tutorials which is a good introduction to the many features of LSX!

best,
    hc