Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fresh meat trying to decide between two similar products for home use.

I'm torn between X-Laser and Kvant.
    I'm going to do a side by side comparison and see price vs feature set who comes out on top.

I'm actually contemplating renting first as I have no way to put eyes on before buying. Spend 200$ to prevent a bad 2k$+ purchase. I don't like buying blind, especially something as subjective as this. And videos are useless.

What is this SELEM I keep seeing reference to?
    Something, South East? "Light Enthusiasts Meetup"?

We are here now through Sunday.

It's an annual convention of Laser "Enthusiats" in Newton/Conover NC from around the country.

If you've got time, you could come and check it out. - about a 13 hours drive.

More projectors than you could count.

Info is in the Laser-Meet-n-Greet section

This is my 7th or 8th I think, lost count.

I meet the x-laser pres yesterday and I have to say I was impressed by their commitment to quality. What saw was top notch and only surpassed by home builders sparing no expense.

I'm sure you would be happy with theirs.

They are also one of the sponsers for SELEM

Just an FYI

If you go X-Laser, just make sure it's X-Laser USA. There's a Chinese company using the X-Laser brand that aren't connected.

Most models like skywriter HPX is a rebranded 520nmlaser. Below a couple of pictures for comparison. Here is the link from 520nmlaser and Xlaser to compare looks:

http://www.520laser.com/pd.jsp?id=794#_pp=122_479

http://x-laser.us/wp-content/uploads...et-2018-P2.pdf

However its worth the extra money to buy from a local reseller if that service is also very good. The majority intends to order directly from the china factory as soon as they know where they can get it cheaper but that is a decision that people can make themselves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x laser skywriter.jpg  

c2000back.png  

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Most models like skywriter HPX is a rebranded 520nmlaser. Below a couple of pictures for comparison. Here is the link from 520nmlaser and Xlaser to compare looks:

http://www.520laser.com/pd.jsp?id=794#_pp=122_479

http://x-laser.us/wp-content/uploads...et-2018-P2.pdf

However its worth the extra money to buy from a local reseller if that service is also very good. The majority intends to order directly from the china factory as soon as they know where they can get it cheaper but that is a decision that people can make themselves.
    Jesus, this just fuels my analysis paralysis.
    Double the pricing for a re-brand? That better be some damn good service!

The whole, black box, tribal knowledge aspect of this industry just doesn't jive well with my anal retentive, engineering based personality.

Now, I feel like I 'm going to get ripped off no matter what I do. .

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorfire View Post
    I'm going to do a side by side comparison and see price vs feature set who comes out on top.

I'm actually contemplating renting first as I have no way to put eyes on before buying. Spend 200$ to prevent a bad 2k$+ purchase. I don't like buying blind, especially something as subjective as this. And videos are useless.

I just reread this thread and I’d suggest you go with x-laser USA if you plan to stick with beams and Kvant if you want to do high end graphics. Both companies have great reputations, but are focused on different markets.

If you really want Lumia, the LK-PD3 has a great DMX controlled wheel, but requires upgrades to get analog beams and further upgrades (scanners, PSU, and diode replacement) to make it a good graphics projector. I have upgraded two of these units and detailed this in a thread from around three years ago.

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

OK, any purchase from X-Laser includes the variance paperwork so you can do public shows legally in the US.
    That is good for about 250$ worth of paperwork time in my opinion.
    ~
    A variance is free if you do your own, but getting a CDRH product report
    done on your own imported / home built projector can take 30-90 days for the first pass approval, then a follow-up can take another couple of weeks.
    X-Laser handles that and provides training videos. It does not happen often, but an unapproved projector can be seized by US Customs. Then you will never see it or a refund if the paperwork is not there.
    Considering I've seen Chinese projectors imported as power supplies or LED FLASHLIGHT to get around the rules, why take the risk if spending $$$$$.

~
    Being legal is a good thing in the United States of Lawyers.. Especially if something were to happen and someone got exposed by accident or you forget to follow the two (horizontal clearance) and three meter (vertical clearance ) Safety rules. The definition of public use of lasers has never been nailed down well.
    ~
    Product support is excellent and they have been known to FEDEX a projector or board or laser head overnight to save a show..

~
    People are coming home from SELEM so you will start to get better answers.
    ~
    https://www.fda.gov/Radiation-Emitti.../ucm118907.htm

~
    You might think you'll never take it out for a spin, but......

~
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-13-2018 at 10:16.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorfire View Post

its an off shoot of the bohemian groove group but we are suppose to keep it quiet. Ssssh!