Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Color modulation question

Question Color modulation question

In comparing two different X-Laser models ( Skywriter HPX vs Mobile Beat Mirage) I've noticed that the only real difference between these two, aside from beam strength, are the manner in which color modulation is handled.

The X-LAser Mobil Beat Mirage states:
    Color Modulation: Analog Via ILDA, 1000+

the X-Laser Skywriter HPX states:
    Color Modulation: 30k Analog Modulation

Now, I can guess that because of the manner its written and the difference in pricing that the Skywriter has a far wider color pallete available to it.
    I am hoping however that someone could explain to me what those things mean and how they differ, what the limitations are and how one may or may not be better than the other.

As always, thank you all for your insight!

That's really just an inconsistency between the spec sheets. They both have the same color modulation capabilities.

The big difference between them is that the Mirage uses single mode diodes, so it's lower in power but the beam quality is incredible. The Skywriter HPX uses multimode diodes in a single stack arrangement so there aren't issues with fringing or anything, but they are higher divergence and not quite as clean as the mirage.

I hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by araugh View Post
    That's really just an inconsistency between the spec sheets. They both have the same color modulation capabilities.

The big difference between them is that the Mirage uses single mode diodes, so it's lower in power but the beam quality is incredible. The Skywriter HPX uses multimode diodes in a single stack arrangement so there aren't issues with fringing or anything, but they are higher divergence and not quite as clean as the mirage.

I hope that helps!
    Interesting. How are able to ascertain this? They both state the same information on their specs with regards to diodes. The only difference is their wavelength and output. Or so I had thought.

I'm able to ascertain this I'm the President of X-Laser. Honestly the spec sheets need to get updated and cleaned up! Sorry about that. If you have questions you'd like answered about specific models I'm more than happy to chat over the phone, let me know when works for you!

Rereading this I 100% came off as a dick, sorry about that.

The more in depth explanation is that we do need to do a better job of maintaining our specification sheets, but even so on our spec sheets we'll never get into things like the differences between single mode and multi mode diode sources. It's just not the kind of thing 95% of our target market cares about and with them the more information we put forth they don't need, the more likely they are to get decision paralysis and move onto something else. If someone ever has questions about unit specifications that are more in depth than we offer in our marketing, we're always happy to answer emails and phone calls.

Looking at these two examples, these two different ways of saying the same thing make sense for what the product is. The Mobile Beat mirage in an entry level unit, almost never sold to someone who has had a laser before. They likely don't know what the hell 30K Analog Modulation means, but they do know what 1000+ colors means. The Skywriter HPX is a higher cost product with more cross pollination with existing laser users and as a result has the specification listed as something more familiar to them because at that end of the market, they actually care about modulation speed.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by araugh View Post
    Rereading this I 100% came off as a dick, sorry about that.
    Nah... only about 20%

The Mobile Beat mirage in an entry level unit, almost never sold to someone who has had a laser before.
    Unless of course your name is Brad.
    PM Sent...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Nah... only about 20%

Unless of course your name is Brad.
    and swamidog...
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

and Hank...
    and Adam...
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Nah... only about 20%
    it was the first and last time in my life I got to play the "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM" card and it went to my head

and last??

I see you reaching a level of badassery in VR gaming soon where you'll be able to play that card in yet another area.
    PM Sent...