Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SELEM-the pillgramage

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

We need to keep making sure threads like these are in front of the UK guys! After having gone to theirs (which was great), I really want some of them to cross the pond to see both the similarities and differences. If they think the UKLEM is a lot of fun, SELEM is epic and life changing. And we're working on an ice cream truck to come next year!
    PM Sent...

D'oh!

When replying to that post, was thinking that I needed to remember that Kecked's real name (Marc) was spelled with a "C" and not a "K". But in my post-SELEM, sleep-deprived state, I somehow conflated that "C" with Carl. Derp!

As for the ice cream truck that Brad mentioned, yeah, we're working on that! I figure Friday and Saturday night around 9:30 PM or so would be a good time. I know I would have bought a few things!

Adam

We need liquid hydrogen next time instead of nitrogen for flaming sundaes. Nitrous would be even better. You get both flames and a smile.

Nitrous would actually be pretty cool. Liquid Hydrogen is a bit too volatile for my tastes though.

Admittedly I once considered purchasing some LOX for a grill-lighting demonstration, but then I thought better of that idea. (If you missed it back in 1995, here's the famous Dave Barry piece that made this whole thing world-renown.)

Jeff Burnsides has a couple of the CO2 cryo-jets... Maybe next year we should get a couple cylinders and play? Not as cool as LN2 (pun intended), but still fun...

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 08-28-2018 at 08:29. Reason: typo

Hydrazine....nitric. Orbit..... has anyone launched a laser pointer into space?

Trying to re-create the engine the Nazis used in the Comet? (ME-163)

Adam

HAHA Nitrous? You really think it will be around long enough to do anything other than inhale it? Asking for a friend.

Well... Either inhale it or inject it into your VW R32, right?

How much more horsepower (beyond the 450-ish that you're already running) do you think we could squeeze out of that block before the transmission grenaded?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Well... Either inhale it or inject it into your VW R32, right?

How much more horsepower (beyond the 450-ish that you're already running) do you think we could squeeze out of that block before the transmission grenaded?

Adam
    TQ breaks transmissions, not HP That said, delaying the onset of said torque is the ticket to not destroying 4th gear. OEM box is good to ~550ft lb. I've done a little bit to help reinforce the box, but there's always something to break

Oh, and for the record, my car's only consumable is gasoline of the 93 Octane or better variety. N2O and Water/Meth injection are for cheaters

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    TQ breaks transmissions, not HP
    Torque and horsepower are always intertwined. Add nitrous, get more HP and more torque. (And possibly break something!)

delaying the onset of said torque is the ticket to not destroying 4th gear.
    The problem with nitrous is that there isn't any real delay. You hit the switch, and instantly you have more air and fuel in the cylinder (by a *huge* margin), so you get a step-jump in horsepower and torque. Typical shot adds 75 to 100 hp, but I've seen setups that add up to 300 hp! Grenading the gears is a real risk at that level. (Although in most cases the weak link is the clutch, which will just slip, at least for the first few seconds. Don't think that's going to happen with your rig though.)

Truthfully though, it's not just the gears that are at risk. *Anything* can fail when you hit that switch, because everything is suddenly being over-stressed. Higher cylinder pressures can blow the heads, break the rods, or crack the pistons. Higher RPMs can spin bearings, shear wrist pins, and split rod caps. And the increased torque can fuck up all sorts of things, including the crankshaft itself. (Saw one example that was *twisted* about 15 degrees along its length, albeit due to abject stupidity on the owners behalf for not upgrading from stock considering how much nitrous he had...)

But holy hell it is amazing to be in the vehicle at speed, and with just a flick of the switch you are suddenly making 50% more power (or more).

N2O and Water/Meth injection are for cheaters
    Or for people who want to go faster...

I'll grant you that forced induction is more sustainable though. (And a hell of a lot easier on all the hardware.)

Adam