Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New holographic display on Kickstarter

Default New holographic display on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery

Not exactly sure how it works but it doesn't have moving parts So I can only be left to wonder how 45 horizontal views is achieved.

Kickstarters=money in toilet. You’ll never see it.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Kickstarters=money in toilet.
    I have a Form1 printer. That's just a gross generalization.

yea I'm a bit jaded. I have that printer. Been nothing but problems. Wish they would have let us trade up to the new one.

Really though, I don't want to start a debate on Kickstarter or whether this will become a successful product or a product at all. I don't care/

I'm just curious how it works and want to talk about that. Too many reputable people have checked it out and gave positive reviews for it to be a total scam like some kickstarters are.

It's a hybrid of a lightfield display and lenticular. It has no vertical parallax.

To call it holographic is misleading IMO, but the terms hologram and holographic have been corrupted so much over the years it's a losing battle trying to educate people what a hologram is.

I've backed quite a few KS projects and haven't lost my money on any of them (yet) but I won't be backing this one. I prefer to make and look at real holograms!

Even with only horizontal parallax, unless they are shifting a video projector beam with a mirror rapidly, I don't understand how this would work. Even at 240x160 resolution at 45 individual horizontal views for you'd need 10,800 pixel wide display to begin with. They just don't exist.

Lightfield displays don't work that way. They don't have a defined image resolution so trying to work out the resolution of the LCD from figures they are giving is a bit pointless.

I couldn't get the videos on their site to play, but will guarantee this has nothing in common with holography and is only another autostereoscopic panel. Just another marketing rip-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hologrampa View Post
    Lightfield displays don't work that way. They don't have a defined image resolution so trying to work out the resolution of the LCD from figures they are giving is a bit pointless.
    Which lightfield displays do you have in mind? The ones I've personally seen or read about either used OLED displays with pinhole array (very low perceived resolution) or flyeye lens array or a rotating or vibrating screen and a highspeed (2000-5000fps) DLP projection (dithered RGB).

If you don't think this is a very high res LCD/OLED/microLED display with lenticular lens, parallax barrier or flyeye lens in front of it and not highspeed dithered DLP projection, then what is it?