Thread: Will an ILT 5400B safely power an ILT5500A

Default Will an ILT 5400B safely power an ILT5500A

As the title suggests, this PSU according to DZlasers website is for the 5470K (krypton fill) unit, but will it safely run a 5500A (Argon fill).

The reason I ask is I have two 5500A's and wish to assign each a power supply, ones a multiline, and the other is a single line. If it won't do it, or worse will blow up the laser head, I'll just throw it up on ebay or here for someone with a 5470K and go get another 5405-210C, which I am well versed in converting to 240V from 210V

The reason I ask is the guts, in particular, the PCB "burger" is quite different to the 5405, and there is an extra transformer in there, bolted to the side wall. Other than that, it has the same pinout on the umbilical and remote connectors, as well as the same cap board, SSR for power up, filament transformer and small signal transformer. The main differences are in the 3 PCB "burger/sandwich".

Cheers guys

edit: fix the model number of the Kr laser - its a 5470K, not a 5490K. Sounds like an intel CPU, either way you look at it
    Last edited by dash8brj; 08-21-2018 at 22:27.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If remember correct, one has the plasma isolated from the line by a switching PSU and the other does not. Hazy memory.... Verify first.
    I just bought a second krypton and a Argon at SELEM, but I did not look at the PSUs yet. Give me a day or two. I've been interchanging KRs and ARs on two 220V PSUs without even thinking about it. Can you post a pic of the "burger"? I know where the system designer is located, too. :-) I recently found him. Haven't made contact with him, but know his new boss.
    ~
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-21-2018 at 05:59.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks Steve; will happily post a pic of the circuit board sandwich - I already have the screws out of the 5405, but I put the tools down and will pop the top on the 5400 tomorrow. Meds and high power electronics don't mix - am off to bed. Pic tomorrow I am starting to become the ILT king of australia. In the narrators voice from Jeff Waynes "War Of The Worlds": "It was another postal notification. Across 15000 miles of flight, it was another ILT, starting on its way..." hehe yep a third one is coming my way :P

Top view of both PSU's, showing the control board. To gain access to the second PCB, one need to remove the transformer at the right hand side panel of the 5400. This is a right pain to get back in as its almost slap bang up against the filament transformer. Tweezers help here!:

Close up of 5400's control board - note the current transformer and lack of dip switches, also the 4 pin connector is at the front edge, which is usually up in the top lefthand corner on the 5405.

Middle PCB of the 5400B. Its fed partially by the side mounted transformer, and the other connection run to the capacitor pcb. The small PCB Transformer is missing, obviously replaced by the side mounted transformer, suggesting that this model is an earlier revision. My guess is the side transformer (pcb mount in 5405’s) forms part of the boost supply to start the tube. That transformer could also be for running the fans. All the ILT's I have run 115V fans. When I first explored playing with these I assumed 240V fans but they ran way too slowly, and metering the fan output on one fan with the connector slightly dislodged showed 118V. (my line voltage was a touch high at the time, around 250V).

Bottom, mosfet board, this is similar to the 5405, except missing a couple of fuses.

While i had this beast open i checked all the fuses including scouring the board for pico fuses; and verified this model was wired for 240v, due to being stung by an RPC-50 that sported a 220v sticker but some doofus stuck a 115v transformer in there, creating a real stink

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by dash8brj; 09-15-2018 at 21:37.

And heres the ones in the 5405 - sorry Steve I've been busy

Top control board:

Output board:

and the mosfet board:

The rest of the guts is so similar its not worth mentioning as stated. Small signal board, cap board, SSR, Filament transformer are all the same.