Thread: Any help is appreciated....

Default Any help is appreciated....

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and am looking for a little bit of help. Everywhere I went online pointed to you all knowing a lot, so naturally I joined.

I own a haunted house and am looking to add some laser effects this year. I want to start off simple, and build from here. At this point I want to see what I can get into, start to learn, and then start upgrading my equipment.

I am looking for some advice on a basic multicolored laser, and a way to control it. Quite honestly this year all I need to do is have a green fan that would be projected in my swamp room. I want to have someone underneath the laser that my customers couldn't see.

The other need for my laser is a spinning circle effect where they are walking towards the laser.

I know that I am vague, but I really know nothing about lasers yet.

THank you everyone.

welcome.

First, until you know what you are doing don't do anything at all. Plan on this for next year. Using a laser with the general public requires a variance for any equipment you use. Just because you can buy it doesn't mean its varianced or safe. Don't plan on aiming it at people. If you do you will need a laser safety evaluation by a certified person and likely written permission. You will also open yourself up to litigation if someone feels you hurt their eyes even if not true. It can be done just don't go into it blind (pun intended)

But but everyone does it.....doesn't make it right.

Please go to the ILDA website and read up on safety and requirments. They can set you straight and hook you up with the right people.

Oh and that stray beam from your fun house that hit a plane.....yea don't ask.
    PS: I am assuming your are in the USA by what I am saying.

... you can avoid all this fuss with safety requirements and have a pretty similar effect with using a video beamer and animated vector-drawings, simulating laser beams or spots

Viktor

something like this could work for you

if josh dont get back to you send me a pm with your contact info and ill get you in touch

http://www.halloweenlasers.com/

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Please don't be offended that the first thing we're jumping on is the safety aspect of things. But it's the part you need to be concerned about the most. Lasers a cool and there a lot of great effects for Halloween displays that can be created, by others... and by you eventually. But unlike other forms of entertainment lighting, lasers in the US (and some other countries and even in certain states) have specific requirements and are a regulated endeavor... not unlike fireworks/pyrotechnics. I'm sure you wouldn't want someone running around your Halloween kids with pyro that didn't know what they were doing either. Again, we're going on the assumption you are in the US.
    If you can find something from say American DJ or Chauvet (check DJ websites) to get you through this year, that's going to be your best bet until you have time to learn a little more, get a variance (think "license") and figure out what will best suit your needs. A lot of folks on here do some amazing Halloween work and I'm sure will work with you. The American DJ and Chauvet products are regarded as being eye safe and are used all the time for parties, proms, weddings and things like that so, the safest thing for you to start off with.
    PM Sent...

Thank you everyone. I will take some time and look into doing a lot more research.

Where are you located? You haven't filled out your location in your user profile yet... If you happen to be reasonably close to one of our senior members, it's likely that they'd be willing to meet up with you and discuss things in person. I'm in Charleston, SC, if that helps.

The safety aspect is a big deal, unfortunately. Assuming you are in the USA, there is a good bit of red tape you need to wade through in order to do this legally. But we can help you with that.

If I understand the effect you're trying to create (basically a plane of laser light at or near the floor level that is bright enough to hide a human cast-member crouching beneath it), then I don't see how you'll be able to do this with one of the low-power projectors discussed above. Also, this effect will present a real laser safety hazard - both to the audience members *and* to the cast member who presumably will spring up through the plane of light to scare the audience. These safety hazards will need to be formally addressed in your variance application.

I agree with others above who urge you to not attempt this effect for this year, but rather to begin planning now for next year's event so you have time to incorporate the laser effect safely and legally.

Adam