Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vortex 285 FPV video (crash)

Don't forget that DJI will NOT repair your Drone and send that
    one back to you but will send out another similar drone.
    That is the only thing I'm not crazy about. I baby my drones.
    The drone you may get back could be a repaired Drone previously
    piloted by a cowboy with no respect for his purchased drone.

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    It was a very still and I was flying about three feet over the river at 20mph for about a mile. As you know, with the goggles it feels like you are there. What a joy!

-David
    I love the second half where you descended. Made me feel like I was setting up for a landing.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    The Mavic Pro is an amazing piece of hardware and version 1 is darn cheap at the moment considering what a video platform it is.
    Are there significant differences between version 1 and version 2? Because the video you've posted so far is nothing short of amazing! Chris has also posted some absolutely incredible videos, and he also has version 1, which makes me wonder what they could have improved on for version 2.?.

I must say though that watching your over-water videos makes me nervous because it's obvious that the craft is *very* far from where it launched. I know the return-to-home feature makes that less of an issue, but it's still hard to wrap my head around the idea of flying a mile or more downrange!

I'm sure I'm going to lose it one day in some body of water. We'll have to start a club for those of us who have lost a drone this way!
    Ugh. I'm a charter member then. I lost my first racing quad to the aptly-named "Dead River" in Tavares, Florida about 3 years ago. Didn't even have FPV gear on board yet (which was fortunate, since it was a total loss). Serves me right for not having a battery monitor installed!

with the goggles it feels like you are there. What a joy!
    The goggles you, Brad, and Chris have are much higher quality than the analog goggles used for FPV racing. The trade-off, of course, is the very low latency offered by all-analog video. You can't fly fast around obstacles with digital video because the latency is too high. But when you downshift to analog your quality goes to hell. So while I agree that it's like "being there", in my case I much prefer to watch the recorded video that I shoot with the secondary on-board camera vs the noise-laden video I see in my goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Anybody do ducted fans on those units? The drive is all inside so very little to hang up.
    I've never seen any ducted-fan models in this size range. The added weight of the shroud more than cancels out any efficiency gain, and the duct only protects against horizontal impacts. Anything dropping vertically into the fan (like Spanish moss!) will still foul the prop. So once you get beyond hand-sized models you normally just see open props, or at best a rudimentary blade guard to protect your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I spent the $99 for the insurance though but I'm wondering how you send anything back to them that's now in the bottom of a river.
    Does the insurance cover you if you lose the bird entirely? I thought it only covered breakage.?. Would seem to be far to easy to abuse the warranty policy otherwise.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Are there significant differences between version 1 and version 2? Because the video you've posted so far is nothing short of amazing! Chris has also posted some absolutely incredible videos, and he also has version 1, which makes me wonder what they could have improved on for version 2.?.
    Here is a nice comparison of several models.

https://newatlas.com/mavic-pro-plati...parison/56114/

Hmmm... so it appears that the big difference is the improved camera and the omni-directional obstacle avoidance. But the trade-off is that you lose the "follow me" and "terrain following" flight modes.

Oh, and price of course.

Adam

Yeah, racing quads and cinematic quads are really different animals.

Regarding anxiety with the long distance over water, I couldn't agree more. Chris' flight in tight quarters over muddy water make me cringe a bit - darn pretty though! Those long trips home after losing signal for a while seem to take a lifetime, but then there's that great relief when it is finally within hearing range again.

Brad: Regarding retrieving a quad from water, they make drone tags that are water-proofed. Its just a mater of getting it out from whatever depth its at. That river by me is only a couple feet deep most of the time making retrieval without scuba gear possible. That said, I'm not insured yet, so it would be a complete loss.

With the replaceable camera on the Mavic 2s, I wonder if they'll introduce an IR camera at some point? It would be a blast for finding animals in the dark.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Ok finally uploaded something. 37 min to upload and 9 min to process. This is flying around the neighborhood I grew up in and over my old middle school. I need to learn about adding sound. (And imbedding - David how do you get the "insert video" to work? )https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_42...ature=youtu.be

(Our house wasn't quite the size of these!)
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 09-05-2018 at 12:27.
    PM Sent...

Brad,
    First off WOW!! That is a really nice neighborhood. Wish I grew up there.

Second, I think you may need to calibrate your gimbal. I noticed when you were flying straight it seemed like the camera was pointing slightly left. I also noticed that after doing a long rotation the gimbal seemed to drift back slightly. That may be due to the long duration rotation though I'm not sure.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    Brad,
    First off WOW!! That is a really nice neighborhood. Wish I grew up there.

Second, I think you may need to calibrate your gimbal. I noticed when you were flying straight it seemed like the camera was pointing slightly left. I also noticed that after doing a long rotation the gimbal seemed to drift back slightly. That may be due to the long duration rotation though I'm not sure.

Chris
    I think I actually need to calibrate the whole thing. I noticed Monday night that the Mavic wanted to slowly move to the left when hovering. Not a great deal but certainly not perfectly still.
    Yeah, I grew up in an area called Westover Hills and many large homes built in the late 1800's early 1900's. DuPont families and banking families. A lot of corporate lawyers around the area too. A lot of Italian craftsmanship. My next video to upload is Valley Garden Park which is kind of the entrance to "Chateau Country" with a lot of the DuPont mansions and, where we predominately went to hang out and party while skipping school. (Oops! Did I say that?)
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 09-05-2018 at 13:06.
    PM Sent...

Ok, here's the footage from Valley Garden Park. This was a few minutes from my high school so, naturally a good place to go goof off when cutting classes. I'll see about uploading some of the more scenic shorter clips soon.

And yes... more tiny houses.
    Last edited by Admin; 09-06-2018 at 05:58. Reason: Add video button check
    PM Sent...