Thread: NYC LEM feeler for winter 2019

Default NYC LEM feeler for winter 2019

so i am thinking of hosting an event is a large nightclub i have full access to in jan/or feb not date set in stone this is just a feeler to see if ant of you guys want to visit NYC

i still need to call NYS and see if they will let this sort of event happen but i am a NYS LSO so we will have a Class b op onsite so the only thing is the show diagram that may cause the trouble as we dont know what the set up will be but its not open the public and its indoors so we may get the ok (may have an inspector show up but we can school him on the proper procedures as they dont know much about lasers they inspect a long list of stuff and lasers are on the bottom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GROWD12.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	371.0 KB 
ID:	54526)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hhhhvhg.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	54525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amazura-ny3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	54527

Sounds good to me, I'm pretty close to NYC.

But that space seems like a space more like the auditorium at SELEM (or the Club) for people to play, create, watch, and share their shows, and not really a hacker space for DIY projects and displays. I'm fine anyway it goes, I'm just curious what you expect it to be? One evening of shows, a couple of days/nights over a weekend, etc?

it is a major ny club but there are other rooms and side spaces to use im thinking friday/sat load out sunday

just need to find some dead time to use the space it wont cost us much there is a hotel nextdoor about $110 a night or so

there is a subway and lirr train + monorail to jfk/lga so easy to get to

you tell me what do you want to see

i plan on showcasing all the goldenstar projectors /modules (as im the us dealer)
    i spoke to greg and he said 6 student will pay for him to do the ilda class
    i talked to Royal the NYS inspector and he want to come hang out and learn ( we may have some hoops to jump trough but he is willing to help make it happen)

steve roberts was at my shop for a few days and he is down to come out so

and this would be the first lem in NYS great place to visit

i could even book major dj's for the nights and rock out you tell me how you think it should go i have never been to one but its a simple concept

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Naturally depending on when, I could make an appearance. NYC is two hours away and, I've run up and back just for a concert. Your comment about never having been to one but understand the concept does lead me to say talk to a few who have hosted one. In theory you're right but, in order to be successful, there is a lot to think about. I've been to a lot (over20). All different. Some great, some I'd likely not bother with again. Talk to buffo, platinum, fearless, smogthemog, dimitri, etc. and ask about what worked, what didn't.
    PM Sent...

im no stranger to throwing events i was doing raves in the 90's so i know what it takes to do a great event ill admit i dont know the nuances of a LEM but im a tech guy i know what i would want to see at an event

seminars on new tech safety classes

maybe a Q&A with the nys inspector (go over code rule 50)

see if i can get pj or mike dunn to come out (thats not that easy task but not out of the question)

maybe aaron or who ever can do the beyond tutorial from pango

steve and the old timers section with the Gasser's

and a few other things i cant think of now

but thats kinda what i had in mind

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

i'm in...
    I've got dibs on the man cave couch.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I'm interested.

Super late to the party, but I'm all for this if the interest is still there. I'm in Jersey City and would be happy to help organize the event. I'm about to head to my third SELEM, and I also go to conferences and expos in NYC regularly. If you would need a new venue, I can reach out to my acquaintances who run MixCon and the Brooklyn Synth Expo for leads.

I'm somewhat interested since I have never been to NYC. Depends on several factors.

well me and the club owner (my biz partner) will be at selem this year so we can make plans there about a NYC LEM (queens)
    there will be places to do other stuff besides the main ballroom

+ my shop/office in the basement should be ready by then also

but there are several areas that can be used for different stuff ( a second small club room upstairs )
    a few hall ways that are large and the back/side stage areas + the basement/shop
    and a few greenrooms

but on the plus side the room is full of truss sound and lighting (so no need to supplement)
    full concert size stage

we just need to find some dead time when the club is not booked (or pay but would rather try for free/cheap )

feel free to call me to discuss my office number is 347 606-1076 ( dont worry its listed on my website and lots of places on the web as its my biz phone)

John Loughlin
    Technological Artisans (Tech Arts)