Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in high power 405nm diodes these days?

Default Any interest in high power 405nm diodes these days?

I have a chance to get a bunch of modules with an unknown 405nm laser diode that in testing here makes 1W at about 700mA and >1.4W at 1.0A. The modules are weirdly shaped and have a driver that I haven't fully reverse engineered, but also include a G-2 type collimating lens coated specifically for 405nm so they are very low loss. When I got some of these a few years ago I found it was fairly easy to extract the diode and the lens for use in more standard (i.e. Aixiz 12mm) modules. Is there any interest in high power near UV diodes there days?

Yeah i'm interested. PM me.

... me too, if you ship to Germany ...

Viktor

I buy a lot of 405nm diodes from DTR for glow in the dark work. His 16x BDR-209 have the same stats ~1.1W at 700mA although I run them closer to 450mA. I understand he pulls these from new blu-ray drive sleds.

If the cost were low enough to justify the effort and/or that colimation lens was something special, I'd be in for a few.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I'll get pictures and more details soon. These are in fact multi-mode diodes, but the module includes anamorphic correction so the output is circularized. I test them all at 1250mA to make sure they can handle it, but recommend running them at 1.0A for 1.4-1.5W output. The threshold is around 225mA and fold-back doesn't happen until around 1300mA. Here is my preliminary power vs. current plot

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

what's the spot size and divergence?
    are the drivers analogue or TTL?

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    I'll get pictures and more details soon. These are in fact multi-mode diodes, but the module includes anamorphic correction so the output is circularized. I test them all at 1250mA to make sure they can handle it, but recommend running them at 1.0A for 1.4-1.5W output. The threshold is around 225mA and fold-back doesn't happen until around 1300mA. Here is my preliminary power vs. current plot

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Here are some pictures. They are the weird shape because 20 of them were aimed at a small area in a high brightness video wall display module. The driver seems to have analog and ttl modulation, but the analog signal is 0 to /negative/ 0.15V. The diode supply is supposed to be 8.65V, though I'll see if anything melts with a 12V supply. The anamorphic correction is a single optic that I originally thought was just a weak lens used to aim the beam (it can be moved in X and Y, but is glued in position once aligned). The last couple of pictures show the collimated beam with and w/o the anamorphic lens. I'll get measurements and do the divergence calcs soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2226.JPG  

IMG_2235.JPG  

IMG_2232.JPG  

IMG_2227.JPG  

IMG_2228.JPG  

IMG_2236.JPG  

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

do i spy a linear actuator in there? is there someway to dynamically control focus?

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    Here are some pictures. They are the weird shape because 20 of them were aimed at a small area in a high brightness video wall display module. The driver seems to have analog and ttl modulation, but the analog signal is 0 to /negative/ 0.15V. The diode supply is supposed to be 8.65V, though I'll see if anything melts with a 12V supply. The anamorphic correction is a single optic that I originally thought was just a weak lens used to aim the beam (it can be moved in X and Y, but is glued in position once aligned). The last couple of pictures show the collimated beam with and w/o the anamorphic lens. I'll get measurements and do the divergence calcs soon.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

It is a teeny tiny stepper motor with a worm gear used to rotate an AR coated block of glass (quartz?) so as to offset the beam left/right by 2 or 3mm.

Hmmm. Being able to get a decent-ish corrected beam at more than the operating output of the single mode 16x diodes 405nm diodes may have some use for softer lines/fill-effects in glow in the dark art work. The fill take forever compared to outlines, so perhaps stacking two of these multimodes with 4X the power would cut that down significantly. I'm also interested to see what can be done with the other hardware as well.

-David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 09-10-2018 at 15:55.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"