Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been lurking on these forums for a year. I still need help.

Default Been lurking on these forums for a year. I still need help.

Ok, so I’ve been reading these forums for about a year now. So much so that I can almost hear the voices of the people that post here all the time as I know many of you by name already.

I’m a fire and circus entertainer and I’m in the middle of my pyrotechnicians apprenticeship to get my license. I want to buy some equipment for a community art project that may or may not work out here in the city of Detroit. But my heart is damned set on it. I’m also a big light geek and have been fascinated with lasers my whole life.

Anyway, I think I have an idea of an equipment list.

4 projectors 3-8 Watts probably 2x3watt and 2x6watt I need to be able to put a show on in a theatre sized building and have the two more powerful projectors in case I need to do a small show outside.

Pangolin advanced

Apc40 for live control

2-3 FB4 This is one of the parts I need help. I got really confused as to what connection I should be using. ILDA or DMX I’d like to use Artnet if I could

I “need” a power meter but haven’t sourced them yet. I do everything by the book. Nothing is good to me if everything isn’t good and legal. I’ve already read some of the threads about liability insurance companies for the projectors and variance, of course.

I don’t want to run into any limitations with the control software down the line. I’ll be doing pretty much exclusively beamshows at first. But I’d like to move into 3d mapping later on.

I haven’t even glanced at hazers yet so any guidance would be appreciated.

I also need good safety glasses which I haven’t sourced yet because I figured the community would know which ones are the best to get.

As far as the projectors. I’m looking at Lightspace right now. I was looking at Goldenstar but I’m not super into the prices of the American supplier to have them varianced. (No offense)

Other companies I wanted to ask about are

Swisslas

Able Lasers. I have a line on two used projectors now but I haven’t been able to get a price list from them.

And does anybody know anything about ECS systems in France? They have a 3 year warranty and come with flight cases. That and I’ve watched a million laser videos over the past year and I’ve always like the way ECS Emile’s videos turn out.

I’m super motivated to get this project rolling. I’ve really spent a ton of time researching. The goal is to be able to create laser shows that flawlessly sync with the music. And I know the road won’t be easy to learn.

Also, I’ll likely go to the ILDA conference in Montreal in November even though I don’t really have any expierience. I’ll have to pick up and learn what I can.

And my day job is working in a CNC Tool and Die shop. If anybody wants to know.

I’m assuming I’m missing some stuff like power supplies and I’m still a little confused as to the connections from the Computer.

Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew5798 View Post
    ...need to be able to put a show on in a theatre sized building and have the two more powerful projectors in case I need to do a small show outside....
    ...I haven’t even glanced at hazers yet so any guidance would be appreciated.
    Hazers are great for indoors. Perfect for large venue applications like a theater. The good part is, you can leave them running without it being "noticeable" vs puffs from a fog machine that need to be tamed and then distributed. For outdoors, a hazer isn't going to do much for you. Fog machines are best for outdoors but remember you are always going to be dealing with the wind.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

If you come to ILDA, I'm happy to spend time with you answering much of this. I'll try to do some of that here as well although, getting ready to run out the door for work.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Hazers are great for indoors. Perfect for large venue applications like a theater. The good part is, you can leave them running without it being "noticeable" vs puffs from a fog machine that need to be tamed and then distributed. For outdoors, a hazer isn't going to do much for you. Fog machines are best for outdoors but remember you are always going to be dealing with the wind.
    Excellent. I definitely didn’t know that. You wouldn’t happen to able to point me in a direction to source them? Cheaper the better. I’m already three times my budget that I started with. Lol but I got the itch and I already saved the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    If you come to ILDA, I'm happy to spend time with you answering much of this. I'll try to do some of that here as well although, getting ready to run out the door for work.
    I’m 95% sure I’m going. I know last years was in Germany. I don’t want to miss it and have to travel further.

It’ll be interesting to meet you in person after reading so many of your posts.

I’m already three times my budget that I started with.
    Get used to that feeling.

What's the timing on the community art project?

I feel like what you described, starting from absolute zero, it going to take a lot of time to acquire the equipment, learn how it all works, install and wire everything, learn the software, program the shows, get the proper approvals and variances, etc. I'm not saying you can't make it happen, but what's the time frame?

Good luck!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I’m 95% sure I’m going. I know last years was in Germany. I don’t want to miss it and have to travel further.

It’ll be interesting to meet you in person after reading so many of your posts.
    Yes, because next year is in England. Last year was actually Slovakia but... close enough.
    The only problem with only being 95% sure is, the longer you wait, the higher the registration cost is.
    I'm going to say something I probably shouldn't, because I am on the board but, I'm also honest. As a new person, the ILDA conference may not be your best investment. Particularly when you're looking to buy software, hardware, hazers, etc. Not that there is anything wrong with going to an ILDA conference however, it's an awful lot of money to spend on something that simply may not be relevant to you just yet. Attending a LEM (Laser Enthusiast Meet) would be a far better use of your dollars at this point in your "career". ILDA is the suit and tie, sit in a hotel conference room all day, see a little bit of lasers at night and, "eat a meal in a tux at the Golden Globe Awards" type experience. It's a general business meeting with Roberts Rules of Order, voting on things, policy making meetings, along with an advanced technology workshop, and such. You'll see a little bit of lasers at the lase off which is where a few people compete against each other performing live to a 3 minute clip of music they've never heard and then see a few lasers at the awards dinner and watch some videos of the awarded entries - maybe a little bit of live graphics/abstracts. You'll have some professional laser companies you can meet and chat with a bit but, as a new person my fear is it would all be a bit overwhelming and perhaps boring. And if you've spend $1,500 to do it, may feel disillusioned. I'd rather you use that money towards buying Beyond or, a quality hazer and other things you'll need.
    I know the distance is a bit greater and it's coming up fast but, if you can make it, use some of what you would have otherwise spent and go to the New England LEM at the end of this month. Rick puts on a very nice weekend and you'll learn a lot. Hell... for that matter, spend less than the $1500 and come to CarribLEM in March and get some amazing tropical SCUBA diving for 10 days and all the lasers and education at night you could want. You'll simply learn far more.
    Not bashing the ILDA Conference - it has it's place and down the road may be something worthwhile to consider but, I don't know that it's necessarily going to be what you may envision. That being said, you would still likely have a good time at the conference should you still have your heart set on doing it and, like you said, it's close this year. I don't want to discourage you... I just want to make sure you have correct expectations before committing.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Get used to that feeling.

What's the timing on the community art project?

I feel like what you described, starting from absolute zero, it going to take a lot of time to acquire the equipment, learn how it all works, install and wire everything, learn the software, program the shows, get the proper approvals and variances, etc. I'm not saying you can't make it happen, but what's the time frame?

Good luck!
    2 years to the first show to clear up paperwork. It’ll take me that long to finish acquiring my pyrotechnicians license. I’d like to fit LSO training in that time somewhere also. I’d like to start programming shows as soon as I can though. The winter here is very long. It is very dark and it is very, very boring.

But I guess that would be more like a year and 4 months.
    Last edited by Andrew5798; 09-10-2018 at 07:55. Reason: Forgot a line

Brad's advice is great, definitely consider it. The ILDA conference is interesting, but not really a place for learning unfortunately. LEMs are far, far better for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Yes, because next year is in England. Last year was actually Slovakia but... close enough.
    The only problem with only being 95% sure is, the longer you wait, the higher the registration cost is.
    I'm going to say something I probably shouldn't, because I am on the board but, I'm also honest. As a new person, the ILDA conference may not be your best investment. Particularly when you're looking to buy software, hardware, hazers, etc. Not that there is anything wrong with going to an ILDA conference however, it's an awful lot of money to spend on something that simply may not be relevant to you just yet. Attending a LEM (Laser Enthusiast Meet) would be a far better use of your dollars at this point in your "career". ILDA is the suit and tie, sit in a hotel conference room all day, see a little bit of lasers at night and, "eat a meal in a tux at the Golden Globe Awards" type experience. It's a general business meeting with Roberts Rules of Order, voting on things, policy making meetings, along with an advanced technology workshop, and such. You'll see a little bit of lasers at the lase off which is where a few people compete against each other performing live to a 3 minute clip of music they've never heard and then see a few lasers at the awards dinner and watch some videos of the awarded entries - maybe a little bit of live graphics/abstracts. You'll have some professional laser companies you can meet and chat with a bit but, as a new person my fear is it would all be a bit overwhelming and perhaps boring. And if you've spend $1,500 to do it, may feel disillusioned. I'd rather you use that money towards buying Beyond or, a quality hazer and other things you'll need.
    I know the distance is a bit greater and it's coming up fast but, if you can make it, use some of what you would have otherwise spent and go to the New England LEM at the end of this month. Rick puts on a very nice weekend and you'll learn a lot. Hell... for that matter, spend less than the $1500 and come to CarribLEM in March and get some amazing tropical SCUBA diving for 10 days and all the lasers and education at night you could want. You'll simply learn far more.
    Not bashing the ILDA Conference - it has it's place and down the road may be something worthwhile to consider but, I don't know that it's necessarily going to be what you may envision. That being said, you would still likely have a good time at the conference should you still have your heart set on doing it and, like you said, it's close this year. I don't want to discourage you... I just want to make sure you have correct expectations before committing.
    Thanks. That all sounds like good advice. I’m pretty aware of what the situation would be. As much as I’ve studied, I don’t know enough yet to benefit fully from the conference. I would stick out like a sore thumb. Lol. Circus performer from Detroit lookin a little confused. And I got plenty of suits but no Tux. Lol I’ll reconsider and try to make it to that event at the end of the month but time gets tight for me there because I make more money performing in Oct. than I do the rest of the year.

I’ll make it to ILDA when I’m ready. Cause I want one of them shiny awards. Lol

I’m so glad I spoke up on here finally.