Thread: WWV Potential Closure

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default WWV Potential Closure

If you use WWV, WWVH, WWVB for precise time, PLEASE sign the petition to save the stations.
    If you own a self setting "atomic" clock or wrist watch, this means YOU!
    ~
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...tions-wwv-wwvh
    ‘Maintain the funding for NIST stations WWV & WWVH,,,’
    ~
    Standard Time and Frequency service is invaluable. 6.3 Million a year is pittance in the Federal Budget. Even musicians use it as it transmits A before C at the top of the minute..
    We need to have a have a backup in case GPS fails, and there are still a lot of places where GPS does not reach where WWVB does, like my basement. WWVB is useful in the Internet of Things as well. WWV is also used for syncing the nationwide power grid as well as "Self Setting" clocks.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-12-2018 at 08:03.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i use to live close to the transmitting station outside of fort collins colorado. that signal bled into *everything*. you could hear it over the dial tone on your phone, detuned radios, ultrasounds. it nearly melted down my crystal radio.

still, it was kind of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    If you use WWV, WWVH, WWVB for precise time, PLEASE sign the petition to save the stations.
    If you own a self setting "atomic" clock or wrist watch, this means YOU!
    ~

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov” ‘Maintain the funding for NIST stations WWV & WWVH,,,’
    ~
    Standard Time and Frequency service is invaluable. 6.3 Million a year is pittance in the Federal Budget. Even musicians use it as it transmits A before C at the top of the minute..
    We need to have a have a backup in case GPS fails, and there are still a lot of places where GPS does not reach where WWVB does, like my basement. WWVB is useful in the Internet of Things as well. WWV is also used for syncing the nationwide power grid as well as "Self Setting" clocks.

Steve
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i use to live close to the transmitting station outside of fort collins colorado. that signal bled into *everything*. you could hear it over the dial tone on your phone, detuned radios, ultrasounds. it nearly melted down my crystal radio.

still, it was kind of cool.
    I right there on signing the petition. Grew up listening to WWV on my dad's WWII radio receiver in Texas. Now I live less than 2 miles from the towers north of Ft. Collins. (no, it's not swamidogs old house) ;-)
    Fortunately, there is not the bleeding of its transmission signal (at least now).

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    I right there on signing the petition. Grew up listening to WWV on my dad's WWII radio receiver in Texas. Now I live less than 2 miles from the towers north of Ft. Collins. (no, it's not swamidogs old house) ;-)
    Fortunately, there is not the bleeding of its transmission signal (at least now).
    it must have been pretty dang close to my old house! i was on north county road 11.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    it must have been pretty dang close to my old house! i was on north county road 11.
    That's pretty close. We're off of N. Country Rd 9, near Hwy 64. But I measured today from my house to the towers and its just under 4 miles.

Bummer. This petition can no longer be signed. It has been archived due to not meeting the minimum signature requirement to stay active. Only 20K people signed it.

Everything changes. You can now reliably receive signals from anywhere on the globe using just a few hundred mw. Ham radio does it all day. They should convert WWV to that format but not get rid of it. I'll miss the voice but hey ...

http://www.arrl.org/weak-signal-modes