Thread: Laser brightness knob bypass

Default Laser brightness knob bypass

Just recently got a Emma laser rgb 24b and the green diode brightness adjustment knob failed cutting all power to my green, is there any way to bypass it so it’s back to full power?

Yes, it can easily be bypassed.

First, make sure the projector is unplugged. Then remove the back cover and locate the broken potentiometer. Now just solder a short length of wire between the terminals on the pot. This will bypass the pot. Alternately, you could simply clip the wires off the pot and solder the wires together if you wish. (Be sure to tape up the joint afterwards though, so the wire doesn't bump against the case and cause a short circuit.)

Adam

I vote dead diode. Measure the pot to see if it works.
    also don’t short all the wires just short the center to either side to test. It could be ground on one side and 5v on the other. If you short all the wires you are screwed. Now if there are only two wires then yes short them.

Cool

If there are 3 wires attached to the pot, then I agree that more information would be needed (a few pictures that clearly show where the wires go) before you bypass the pot. I've never seen this done, but in theory it's possible.

However, if there are only 2 wires connected to the pot, then you can either clip them off and connect them to each other, or short across the pot with a short piece of wire.

I actually considered posting a picture with all 3 terminals labeled, but then I figured I was just being overly didactic so I didn't...

That being said:

You would expect one wire to be connected to "W" and the other to be connected to either "A" or "B". If there are wires on both "A" and "B" as well as the middle wiper terminal, then we need to trace the wires out before you bypass anything.

Also, I'm assuming that the statement of "the adjustment knob failed" means that there was obvious physical damage to the pot. If, in fact, the green laser just stopped working and you aren't sure that the pot is the problem, then Marc may be correct: the problem is more likely to be a bad green diode. (It could also be a failed driver for the green diode.)

Adam