Thread: ILDA frame to single cycle waveform

Default ILDA frame to single cycle waveform

I'd like to use a hardware sampler to play back ILDA frames as single cycle waveforms thru my analog laser control system.

Does anyone have any ideas for the best way to convert a frame to a single cycle waveform? I've done it by looping a recording of an ilda frame running and then trimming the start and end points until it looked best, but I could never be sure and it took several steps and of course extra time. Perhaps there's a clever software solution to get a more accurate desired result instead?

You could do this with LaserBoy. It converts ILDA frames to time optimized wave files.

Load your frame or frame set in LB. Get the one you want in the current view. Hit o to output. Choose 3 for file type wave. Hit 1 for current frame once.

DONE!

Well..... you probably only want the X and Y channels, so open the multi-channel wave in Audacity. Close channel 3, 4, 5 and 6. Export channels 1 and 2 as a stereo wave.

You can also split the multi-channel wave in LB using the wave file utilities menu.
    Last edited by james; 09-27-2018 at 15:31.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

thanks James,

so just to confirm, the method you described above will generate a single cycle waveform of the ilda frame? so that it does not loop, and all the looping to make a persistent image with the laser will be done using my hardware sampler? (this is what i want)

Oh, I have another question for u James. I was planning on copy and pasting allllll the single cycle waveforms I create using this method together in Audacity, to create one long audio file that has all the ilda frames together back to back, and then in my hardware sampler I can skip around the sample to change which ilda frame is being displayed.

So my question is, could I eliminate this step of pasting all the different waveforms together, does laserboy perform this "batch" function somehow and create a single audio file that contains single cycle waves back to back? (For my current workflow and hardware, using one audio file with a bunch of different ilda frames in it is easier than using a separate audio file for each frame. But the frames need to be the same length, and as short as possible (single cycle) so as not to waste any precious disk space

Yes. The method I first described will generate a wave file with just one iteration of the frame you chose.

You can make a wave file of a sequence of frames (a frame set) that contains each frame only once. But it would be entirely up to you to make each frame the exact same number of samples. I don't know how you could do that.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

It would be helpful if we knew a use case here. While we understand the question, knowing the use case may help the answer be more relevant. It sound like you are developing an interface that lets you choose what is displayed based on user input on the fly. If this is a live show controller using wave, you are going to need a way to bookmark each set of samples in you controller. Its easy to output 1 second of each frame so you know the length of the audio. That would ensure the same number of samples for each frame.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group