Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Litchi: Another Thread for DJI Quad Owners

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    if you lose your controller connection while its doing its thing, you lose two things for the rest of your flight; speed control changes (where you changed your speed at a subsequent waypoint) and gimbal control.
    If you get your controller to connect again, can you take manual control of the bird and bring it straight home (abort the pre-programmed flight path)?

Follow up question: Do you have any feedback (telemetry) to let you know that you've lost your controller connection?

I thought that the Mavic would fly the pre-programmed flight path no matter what. But if it can't move the camera gimbal, then there's not much point in continuing the flight. I think in that case I would program it to immediately return home if it ever lost lock on the controller.

Adam

What are using for a homing device?

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    If you get your controller to connect again, can you take manual control of the bird and bring it straight home (abort the pre-programmed flight path)?
    Yes, you can abort a mission at any time by switching to Sport Mode, which is a little button on the side of the controller. You can then switch it back to Position Mode (which limits speed and turns on GPS and front obstruction sensors). If the signal to the bird is lost again after taking manual control, it should do its normal Return to Home thing, but I haven't tested this.

Follow up question: Do you have any feedback (telemetry) to let you know that you've lost your controller connection?
    Yes, you get a frozen video feed (assuming you lost that too), verbal warnings that repeat every X seconds, and you don't see any progress on the bird's position as it continues to make its flight to the remaining waypoints. It will update the video feeds and position once contact is regained.

I thought that the Mavic would fly the pre-programmed flight path no matter what. But if it can't move the camera gimbal, then there's not much point in continuing the flight. I think in that case I would program it to immediately return home if it ever lost lock on the controller.
    Yes, it will continue unless you tell it otherwise. I'm not sure what happens if it thinks it doesn't have enough battery to come home or not as I've not pushed it that far. I'd hope it would abandon ship on the mission and come home ASAP, otherwise the thing is going to land on its own. The gimbal thing is hard to quantify. In some cases it just starts moving up and down, other times it stays steady. I've seen this occur after losing signal with DJI Go4 as well, but I didn't know what was going on at the time.

On a related note, the Samsung Tab A tablet came in and I did some testing around the house, but I haven't lost signal as yet. One new thing I did learn is the variability of GPS. I had it flying waypoints around the house and it has some areas where the path between trees and the house was only 25 feet or so. I had it make about a dozen rounds over several days previously and had it flying safe with some variability of a few feet in either direction. Yesterday however, it was WAY off - 15-20 feet even with 15 satellites connected. I tested this with both the iPad and the Samsung Tab and they were consistent, so it had something to do with GPS or the bird.

I had to abandon several attempts as it rushed directly toward trees, overshot its marks and almost hit the house. Once it did hit some leaves, but recovered and hovered (whew!). Now if the thing was facing the direction it was flying or was coming too close to the ground, the sensors would have stopped it from continuing. This is a big plus for the Mavic 2 as it has sensors on all sides. That said, the Mavic 2 has tons of bugs that cause it to drop out of the sky. As DJI requires that you return a faulty drone for log review and specifically states that if you have a water 'landing' they aren't covering you, you'd be out US$1,500-1,700. Ouch! Personally, I think the limited liability for well tested used MP1 for ~$600 is still more preferable. Next week, I'm contacting State Farm to see how much an insurance policy costs and what their policy is if it goes swimming. . .

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by turbohead View Post
    What are using for a homing device?
    If I understand your questions correctly, it establishes a home point as it takes off. You have the option to change the home point to the current location of the bird or dynamically change based on the controller's location. This allows you to change locations during flight, which is common when the home location is a moving boat or you are in another sort of chase vehicle.

-David

I think Turbohead was referring to your earlier comment where you mentioned that you had attached a homing device to the back of the quad, presumably to help you find it if it crashed. (Which is why you said that it "wouldn't help you if it landed in the drink.") I think he's asking what sort of "homing device" you purchased.

Adam

Oh, duh! Thanks for that, Adam. I was stuck in a different frame of mind.

Turbohead: I bought the Marco Polo tracking system. It isn't cheap, but it did come with a watertight transmitter that would allow me to find it in shallow water. The transmitter / receiver don't depend on cell networks or GPS which is a plus when flying in remote areas.

-David

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

at the last selem, i implanted a homing device into dkumpula.

is that what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I think Turbohead was referring to your earlier comment where you mentioned that you had attached a homing device to the back of the quad, presumably to help you find it if it crashed. (Which is why you said that it "wouldn't help you if it landed in the drink.") I think he's asking what sort of "homing device" you purchased.

Adam
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    at the last selem, i implanted a homing device into dkumpula.

is that what you mean?
    Well this explains the low battery messages being announced from inside my head. At least I hope so!

David

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Well this explains the low battery messages being announced from inside my head. At least I hope so!

David
    oh, no.... that's a very different "experiment".
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Something like this, perhaps?

( https://youtu.be/H_rCQ33_jX4?t=18 )

Adam