Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55

Thread: Litchi: Another Thread for DJI Quad Owners

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    Here is a nice tutorial on how to set it up and use it.
    Haven't tried it myself yet.
    https://forum.dji.com/thread-142844-1-1.html

    Chris
    I particularly like using the Litchi website's Mission Hub on my PC for creating WayPoint mission flights. You can also create/edit WayPoint missions with the Litchi app on your iOS, tablet or smartphone device. For me, its just so much easier to do this on a large screen like a PC has. If you are logged in to the Litchi website and Litchi app on your iOS or Android device the WayPoint missions will be automatically synchronized (uploaded or updated).

    Its also worth while to read Litchi's User Guide on their website here: https://flylitchi.com/
    ________________________________
    Everything depends on everything else

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,489,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    You don't need a Mavic (although t'would be nice to have) to use it. I use it with my P3P.
    I should have clarified that statement: I don't own any DJI drones. The Mavic is the one I've been considering, however. But my understanding is that the Litchi software will only talk to the DJI flight controllers, and none of my current birds use DJI hardware.

    So for example, assume someone has a home-built quad that uses a pixhack autopilot. They won't be able to use Litchi to program the flight, right? Which also means they can't use VLM to preview it. Or am I missing something here?

    I read through the tutorial thread, but I didn't see any mention of Google Earth VR support using a 3D headset like the HTC vive. While I agree that even watching it on a monitor is a huge improvement over just looking at a flat map, being able to watch it in 3D would be epic! Still, until I get a DJI-compatible controller this is all just a theoretical exercise.

    Adam

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC USA
    Posts
    1,451

    Default

    Thanks for the kind words a few posts back, guys!

    I use the 3D map in Google Earth to check elevations, but I haven't done any virtual flights using Litchi. The 3D maps have proved useful for not flying into the side of a hill or mountain when there are terrain changes. It also seems reasonably accurate on a smaller scale. This is what the solar installation flight I linked earlier looks like in Google Earth and it appears to get the tree heights correct within a few feet.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Litchi Flight Path Home.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	579.1 KB 
ID:	55581

    I suppose slightly outdated data due to fast growing trees might be a hazard.

    <EDIT> Oh, man! I just downloaded the Virtual Mission software and gave it a try on the same file above. Wow, its pretty much dead on with the real flight! The only exception is that Google Earth makes the house look like Spanish 'Dali influenced' architecture.


    -David

    -David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 06-14-2019 at 05:48.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I should have clarified that statement: I don't own any DJI drones. The Mavic is the one I've been considering, however. But my understanding is that the Litchi software will only talk to the DJI flight controllers, and none of my current birds use DJI hardware.

    So for example, assume someone has a home-built quad that uses a pixhack autopilot. They won't be able to use Litchi to program the flight, right? Which also means they can't use VLM to preview it. Or am I missing something here?

    I read through the tutorial thread, but I didn't see any mention of Google Earth VR support using a 3D headset like the HTC vive. While I agree that even watching it on a monitor is a huge improvement over just looking at a flat map, being able to watch it in 3D would be epic! Still, until I get a DJI-compatible controller this is all just a theoretical exercise.

    Adam
    Aah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying that.
    ________________________________
    Everything depends on everything else

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Thanks for the kind words a few posts back, guys!

    I use the 3D map in Google Earth to check elevations, but I haven't done any virtual flights using Litchi. The 3D maps have proved useful for not flying into the side of a hill or mountain when there are terrain changes. It also seems reasonably accurate on a smaller scale. This is what the solar installation flight I linked earlier looks like in Google Earth and it appears to get the tree heights correct within a few feet.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Litchi Flight Path Home.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	579.1 KB 
ID:	55581

    I suppose slightly outdated data due to fast growing trees might be a hazard.

    <EDIT> Oh, man! I just downloaded the Virtual Mission software and gave it a try on the same file above. Wow, its pretty much dead on with the real flight! The only exception is that Google Earth makes the house look like Spanish 'Dali influenced' architecture.


    -David

    -David
    Yeah, I'd have to say that is pretty cool and a huge benefit for "try before you fly".
    ________________________________
    Everything depends on everything else

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC USA
    Posts
    1,451

    Default

    Apologies for the dead thread revival, but I blame Brad (Bradfo69). With his recent FB posts, he reminded me that I have a drone that I haven't used in quite a while. Thankfully, this reminder came just in time for a short trip to Amelia Island, Florida where we social-distanced on a quiet beach and I did a couple sunrise Litchi flights of 3.5 and 4 miles. This is an edited video of about 35 minutes of source material. If I had an opportunity to fly again, I would have flown about half the altitude that I did, but I didn't have a computer/SD card reader to review the footage to ensure I was clearing buildings and trees adequately. Anyway, hope you enjoy the views of this lovely island.



    -David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Apologies for the dead thread revival, but I blame Brad (Bradfo69). With his recent FB posts, he reminded me that I have a drone that I haven't used in quite a while. Thankfully, this reminder came just in time for a short trip to Amelia Island, Florida where we social-distanced on a quiet beach and I did a couple sunrise Litchi flights of 3.5 and 4 miles. This is an edited video of about 35 minutes of source material. If I had an opportunity to fly again, I would have flown about half the altitude that I did, but I didn't have a computer/SD card reader to review the footage to ensure I was clearing buildings and trees adequately. Anyway, hope you enjoy the views of this lovely island.



    -David

    Great footage David!!!!!
    Love the music too. Very dramatic. Makes me think of a Cirque Du Soleil performance.

    Chris

  8. #48
    Bradfo69's Avatar
    Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    6,027

    Default

    Yeah... thanks to the virus, I've finally gotten around to spending a lot of time in the air. Bought another Mavic, the 2 Zoom and have also been doing some Litchi flights. Going through a few batteries a day around the upper Chesapeake Bay region. Re-reading the thread, I do need to check out the virtual mission software because that would have helped make some corrections in a fairly waypoint/POI heavy Litchi flight I put together a couple weeks ago. I still prefer flying manually at this point and learning to actually fly as smoothly as Litchi does. Also about to schedule my part 107 test. :-)
    PM Sent...

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC USA
    Posts
    1,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Yeah... thanks to the virus, I've finally gotten around to spending a lot of time in the air. Bought another Mavic, the 2 Zoom and have also been doing some Litchi flights. Going through a few batteries a day around the upper Chesapeake Bay region. Re-reading the thread, I do need to check out the virtual mission software because that would have helped make some corrections in a fairly waypoint/POI heavy Litchi flight I put together a couple weeks ago. I still prefer flying manually at this point and learning to actually fly as smoothly as Litchi does. Also about to schedule my part 107 test. :-)
    I was thinking about this and while an admirable goal, I think you'd need two operators (one to fly, one to operate a second gimbal mounted camera) to pull this off. I say this because the automated flight allows for the smooth curved travel between way-points - really challenging flying in-and-of-itself WHILE also orienting the quad to be facing an ever changing angle for the filming the focal points and of course smoothly changing between focal points as desired. Oh - and doing so while potentially out of range of your receiver.

    Seriously, this is the most complicated scenario and a good pilot can still capture great footage without being able to do all of these tricks simultaneously. I'm sure you are having fun with it.

    Regarding 107, I thought the same thing . . but then I considered that 'hobbyist' and "I didn't know that I couldn't ________________" also has its advantages.

    OK, I'm charging up and looking at some spots in Western Virginia to film now . . more to follow!

    Happy flying!

    -David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Having a Part 107 License has its pros and cons.

    If you plan to fly for money then you definitely need it.
    There are rare locations I am able to fly under my 107 that I can't as a recreational pilot......legally.

    Then there is the "I didn't know that" scenario. Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. When you have a 107 you are held to a higher standard even when flying recreationally.

    Chris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •