Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Litchi: Another Thread for DJI Quad Owners

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Wow! That video turned out great David! Thanks for posting it.

I'm really amazed at the quality that is accessible to the consumer for basically a grand or less. The Mavic is *most* impressive!
    Apologies for a slight tangent, but if you want to see real quality Adam, for a little bit over a grand, check out the Yuneec with the C23 camera. I understand the C23 camera uses the internals of a Panasonic GH4, which is one of the very best 4K video SLR style cameras on the market. There are plenty of vids on Youtube, but I think it's probably the best footage I've ever seen from a drone (when watched in 4K). I've often wondered if the gimble could be attached to a DJI drone, although I understand Yuneec run them quite close anyway.

Default Another Scary Flight

So I programmed this flight of a nearby chemical manufacturing plant - conveniently located directly on that pretty river I posted video from - literally directly across the river from a water treatment facility that pumps water from the river (which has had chemical and textile plants on its shore consistently for over a century).

This one was really intimidating to fly. I pre-progammed the four mile, 18 minute flight by checking elevations against Google Earth Pro, but the buildings were taller than they appeared in Google Earth so I made adjustments on site. Obviously if this flight didn't go well, it would have gone down into a treatment pond full of heaven knows what. Thankfully, it made it back without incident.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I can see why you may have picked it. Knowing where you live, I Google Earthed it and the surrounding areas and I can see how it may have been an intriguing place to check out. Scary how close it is to the river though. That's a pretty impressive giant sawdust maker!
    PM Sent...

Yeah, I sat in my launch spot for like 20 minutes trying to find the 'cajones' to press play on the mission.

Regarding the "tree eater", I assume there is a symbiotic relationship between that business and the chemical manufacturer. Maybe the sawdust is used in the water treatment in the chemical processing holding ponds?

-David

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Yeah, I sat in my launch spot for like 20 minutes trying to find the 'cajones' to press play on the mission.

Regarding the "tree eater", I assume there is a symbiotic relationship between that business and the chemical manufacturer. Maybe the sawdust is used in the water treatment in the chemical processing holding ponds?

-David
    Interesting that there appears to be no signs of people. And fortunately no manager running out the door with a shot gun trying to take down a spy drone.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Interesting that there appears to be no signs of people. And fortunately no manager running out the door with a shot gun trying to take down a spy drone.
    I will remember to wear brown pants next time in case of such an event!

David

David,
    I just saw this thread. You have really got good at this drone thing. Excellent videos!!!

Be careful flying in areas like that. The FAA frowns upon it. I use AirMap to verify I won't be violating any airspace.
    Remember it's only illegal if you get caught. Lol

I've had Litchi since I bought my Mavic. I bought it to make panoramic pictures, which it does well. Now I use the Samsung 360 and make videos instead. Haven't really opened Litchi since then.

Chris

Correction: I just looked up your flight over the water near the aircraft carrier and the chemical plant. You were clear (legal) the whole way for both.
    Last edited by Lazerjock; 10-26-2018 at 10:36.

Thanks, Chris! I'm having good fun. I don't have much in the way of skills flying fast like Adam B., Johnny and you do, but I can pre-plan routes or get the shots by going slow and repetition.

Although I've been capturing video of places that may look 'aggressive' I am good about checking the do-not-fly zones in advance. All of the places I fly have been unrestricted as the last thing I'd want to do is put a small plane like yours or a helicopter in jeopardy. Most of my flights are really low though - below 200 feet so guys like you shouldn't be near me in an unrestricted zone.

Early on, I planned some detailed flights with Litchi only to find out later (but before I flew) that it was in a do-not-fly zone or that my departure point banned drones. Now I'm quick to check the do-not-fly or caution zones using Drone Buddy along with other apps before I plan a flight out. I also go through the effort of looking for the rules for the parks or other areas I take off from and talk to anyone in authority there in advance. In one case, I was told I couldn't fly, but only after I had already packed up. The guy was really nice about it though and knew it wasn't posted except on the local town's policies - buried somewhere deep on some page.

On that note, I do read quite a bit about people harassing or calling the police on quad owners in areas that they have a right to fly. I've been encouraging curious people to take a look through the FPV goggles and spending time chatting with them. I also read that wearing a goofy reflective vest and carrying a clipboard makes one 'look official'. I've got those on order from Amazon!

One final note: I have started watching tons of Powered Para-Gliding videos since I started using my quad. Apparently its a common gateway drug into the sport. I'm currently looking at lessons in Lake Wales, FL and hope to be flying low(ish) and slow in person in the near future. Its way cheaper than a Cesna - or even lasers! We'll see how this progresses in the coming months!

-David

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    David,
    I just saw this thread. You have really got good at this drone thing. Excellent videos!!!

Be careful flying in areas like that. The FAA frowns upon it. I use AirMap to verify I won't be violating any airspace.
    Remember it's only illegal if you get caught. Lol

I've had Litchi since I bought my Mavic. I bought it to make panoramic pictures, which it does well. Now I use the Samsung 360 and make videos instead. Haven't really opened Litchi since then.

Chris

Correction: I just looked up your flight over the water near the aircraft carrier and the chemical plant. You were clear (legal) the whole way for both.

I'm not really into drones but I bought one from Ollie's Bargain Outlet because it was a hot deal. It had a streaming camera and a button to auto-land so I figured I'd be good to go. But, I wasn't good to go. I was flying it (or trying to) and then pressed the land button. Instead of landing, it went up really high and blew over my house and hit a tree and then fell down. One of the motors never worked right after that so I threw it into the trashcan. I wanted to check here to see if there are any known good ones that are reasonably priced and might be a little more friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I wanted to check here to see if there are any known good ones that are reasonably priced and might be a little more friendly.
    Check www.banggood.com they have a large selection of drones over a wide price range.

I have never flown this one but it has a lot of features, the reviews are good and the price is right.
    https://www.banggood.com/FQ777-FQ40-...r_warehouse=CN

You will need to spend some money to get into the really nice units.

Chris