Thread: Independent OPSL repair

Default Independent OPSL repair

Hello,

Possibly have a sick OPSL and figured it would be good to find out for future reference, as google says 'no'.. so it might benefit others looking for the same service.
    Few years back someone was discussing an independent OPSL repair shop, either on the side as a hobby or a full blown one. Any suggestions/recommendation?

Rather not deal with coherent prices! They are solder aligned so can't be too much of a hassle...

Cheers PL

Maybe Briggs will be able to help... Just don't know how to tag him here, you better try on FB

What are the symptoms and approximately how many hours ?
    the only thing I have ever needed to replace on my OPSL was the TEC ‘s.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    Maybe Briggs will be able to help... Just don't know how to tag him here, you better try on FB
    Fair call and thanks, not a fan of FB but will give it a shot

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    What are the symptoms and approximately how many hours ?
    the only thing I have ever needed to replace on my OPSL was the TEC ‘s.
    One turns off when on standby. But hard to replicate and no faults when power cycled after a longer wait, runs full power for hour+. Hours should be under 1000, still diagnosing - had work recently on the Pjs so could be related (4 channel, 5 colours now). But they do get shipped international reasonably often so you never know.
    Were TECs very hard to replace? It's hard getting info out of coherent, even if via certified integrators lol.
    Last edited by Soulstorm; 10-28-2018 at 06:16.

You can test the TEC’s with a meter, a good TEC has almost a short/ low resistance of 1-2 ohms.
    they are easily replaced.
    off the top of my head I cannot remember the specs for the TEC’s, but you can probably get them from coherent if you ask them.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstorm View Post
    One turns off when on standby. But hard to replicate and no faults when power cycled after a longer wait, runs full power for hour+. Hours should be under 1000, still diagnosing - had work recently on the Pjs so could be related (4 channel, 5 colours now). But they do get shipped international reasonably often so you never know.
    Were TECs very hard to replace? It's hard getting info out of coherent, even if via certified integrators lol.
    Sounds more like a problem with the driver electronics than the laser itself. Which is good because repairing the head is not much fun. I've replaced the pump diode in a few with some success (returned to ~90% power). Anything more complex requires special jigs for realignment.