Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 1W RGB Laser Module Recommendations

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    East Coast of Southern Virginia
    Posts
    378

    Default 1W RGB Laser Module Recommendations

    Hi All,

    I have been looking for a reliable 1W RGB laser module that can be purchased in the USA. I would like to have a driver with real analog modulation. Besides building one does anyone have any good recommendations for one to purchase? I have a 200mW chinese TTL one that is fairly well built however I need a 1W one and have some concerns over longevity. Plus the ones from China don't come with real analog modulation. I have been looking at this one (https://www.banggood.com/RGB-1000mW-...p-1320727.html). I have seen other companies like KVANT (https://www.kvantlasers.sk/product/1...t-laser-module ). Are there any others and where do I buy them? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Langhus - Norway
    Posts
    322

    Default I recommend......

    Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    Hi All,

    I have been looking for a reliable 1W RGB laser module that can be purchased in the USA. I would like to have a driver with real analog modulation. Besides building one does anyone have any good recommendations for one to purchase? I have a 200mW chinese TTL one that is fairly well built however I need a 1W one and have some concerns over longevity. Plus the ones from China don't come with real analog modulation. I have been looking at this one (https://www.banggood.com/RGB-1000mW-...p-1320727.html). I have seen other companies like KVANT (https://www.kvantlasers.sk/product/1...t-laser-module ). Are there any others and where do I buy them? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Visit http://goldenstarlaser.com/index.php...product_id=439
    . Yes itís chinese, but I have very good experience with this company.
    Bought parts, modules and complete projectors. All works perfect.

    If if you say you are a PL member, you even might save a few bucks.

    Espen
    __________________________________________________ __________

    More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Laurel, MD
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Right now 1 watt is soft of a weird space for diode modules and projectors, here's a quick breakdown of why.

    There are 2 main ways to go about making a balanced 1W projector:
    1. You can PBS 2 500mW single mode diode sets. This looks absolutely incredible. Great beam specs, beautiful color balance, it's a really slick setup. The disadvantage is that it's expensive relative to power level due to the optics required. Very few commercial manufacturers do this because it's hard to explain to non-laser people the benefits and the most of those benefits only really show in real life. Laser beam specs just don't translate to video well. I think Kvant had an 800mW for a while that was built this way and I still have no clue how they made any money off of it.


    2. You can use the common multimode RGB set to combine 1 638 red with 1 520 green with 1 445/450 blue. This can produce a good beam with just 3 diodes (or 4-6 if you use the 637 single mode reds) but at this point the system is capable of 1.8-2 watts. As a manufacturer, there's absolutely no reason not to turn these diodes up to this power level and you have a 2W laser which can command a higher price.

    The alternative is to throw color balance to the wind and just use a crapload of cheap blue, which is what you see in the goldenstar unit posted above. If that's what works for you, great! But if what you're looking for a balanced watt, the above reasons are why you're not likely to find it at a price you'd be expecting.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    East Coast of Southern Virginia
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Thanks Dasturb for the recommendation. I totally forgot about Goldenstar Laser. I see them advertise projectors once in a while. I have no problems with Chinese made equiment (I think everything in my house is ). I just want to make sure I am not wasting my money searching around for something as I am sure you and others have a lot more experience that I have buying prebuilt lasers. Up to this point I typically would scrounge and build RGB modules myself out of junk.

    It looks like their diode driver modules are TTL/Analog. Do you like the Analog modulation that you got with their modules?

    Thanks again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Datsurb View Post
    Visit http://goldenstarlaser.com/index.php...product_id=439
    . Yes itís chinese, but I have very good experience with this company.
    Bought parts, modules and complete projectors. All works perfect.

    If if you say you are a PL member, you even might save a few bucks.

    Espen
    Last edited by cfavreau; 11-01-2018 at 15:29.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    East Coast of Southern Virginia
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Thanks araugh for the information. I never thought of it that way. Do you have any recommendations in the 500mW range? I would like something that is decent quality and analog modulation. The little 200mW module that I have has a beam looks really nice. I don't know the specs however it is pretty tight and not messy like the one that I built previously that used a 445nm diode from a video projector.

    I will ask Goldenstar to see if I can just turn down the blue to something like 300mW max and get 600mW with a fairly nice white balance (or whatever I need to get a better white balance).

    Thanks again for the advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by araugh View Post
    Right now 1 watt is soft of a weird space for diode modules and projectors, here's a quick breakdown of why.

    There are 2 main ways to go about making a balanced 1W projector:
    1. You can PBS 2 500mW single mode diode sets. This looks absolutely incredible. Great beam specs, beautiful color balance, it's a really slick setup. The disadvantage is that it's expensive relative to power level due to the optics required. Very few commercial manufacturers do this because it's hard to explain to non-laser people the benefits and the most of those benefits only really show in real life. Laser beam specs just don't translate to video well. I think Kvant had an 800mW for a while that was built this way and I still have no clue how they made any money off of it.


    2. You can use the common multimode RGB set to combine 1 638 red with 1 520 green with 1 445/450 blue. This can produce a good beam with just 3 diodes (or 4-6 if you use the 637 single mode reds) but at this point the system is capable of 1.8-2 watts. As a manufacturer, there's absolutely no reason not to turn these diodes up to this power level and you have a 2W laser which can command a higher price.

    The alternative is to throw color balance to the wind and just use a crapload of cheap blue, which is what you see in the goldenstar unit posted above. If that's what works for you, great! But if what you're looking for a balanced watt, the above reasons are why you're not likely to find it at a price you'd be expecting.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Default

    Hi Cfavreau!

    I think Adam explained this issue perfectly. As additional points of reference, I build ~1.1W single mode projectors all the time that consist of two 638nm single mode reds (or one 638nm combined with one 650nm), two 520nm single mode greens, and two 450nm single mode blues. The power generally works out to ~380mw of red (more if a 650nm is in the mix), 225mw of green, and ~500mw of blue. The results are beautiful. The colors are very well balanced and the drivers I use are excellent for precise low to full power lasing, but the cost in parts alone for such a module is US$1,150.

    I'm not sure what's in that Kvant 1W module, but at 880 Euros, I would guess that you are looking at a single mode green, a corrected multimode blue and two single mode reds. Its really odd that they don't list the powers for RGB in their documentation, but if I'm right it will be lite on green. I would call them for more information. I've seen a similar module in the Clubmax 2000 which had a corrected multimode green and was quite impressed with it. The beam isn't as nice as single mode builds, but was still good. It was also very compact and easy to adjust the alignment.

    You never mentioned what you plan on doing with the module. For graphics, you want the best beam possible, but for beam shows, you can generally get away with using corrected multimode diodes.

    -David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Take also a look at these units:
    https://www.laserworld.com/shop/lase...rs/club-series
    You'll get a much better support.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,694

    Default

    Pretty sure he asked for a laser module not a complete laser...


    Quote Originally Posted by jors View Post
    Take also a look at these units:
    https://www.laserworld.com/shop/lase...rs/club-series
    You'll get a much better support.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

    Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •