Thread: Siezed scanner - any ideas?

Default Siezed scanner - any ideas?

Wondering if anyone has any ideas?

One of our sets of PT-A40 galvos (from lightspace) is experiencing a problem - when I power the laser on the X galvo rotates maximum and if i try to push it back to resting position, I can feel the motor resisting the movement and pushing back to that maximum position. If I play an animation, the galvo gets very hot. I tried swapping the amp and the problem stays. I also tried opening it up to see the position sensors but I cannot see anything immediately wrong.

Assume there is not much more I can do? Just thought I would check with the pros.

Thanks in advance.
    One of our sets of PT-A40 galvos is experiencing a problem - when I power the laser on the X galvo rotates maximum and if i try to push it back to resting position, I can feel the motor resisting the movement. If I play an animation, the galvo gets very hot. I tried swapping the amp and the problem stays. I also tried opening it up to see the position sensors but I cannot see anything immediately wrong. I would like to sent it back to you and see if you can fix it. What is your address?

Sound like a position sensor problem. Maybe check the connectors between galvo and amp for open wires or bad solder joints.

could also be some dc offset getting in there. try disconnecting the galvo input from everything else and see if it still happens. also try swapping the drivers. yes the tune wont be right but it should not be soo far off that it wont work. Plus if the scanner is already blown it wont matter. Don't do the good one on the possible bad driver. basic trouble shooting.

You may not like this answer, but it might be the best one.
    Unless you possess the skills to diagnose and repair the issue with either galvo or driver, you should probably just order a new set, swap them out and put the old set on the shelf for spares.
    They don't sell spare parts, so knowing which bit is broken is irrelevant in terms of buying the part you need. All options that requiring anything to be bought result in a new set, so might as well just get one.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Yeah I gave up. Just wanted to check I wasn't missing something. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    You may not like this answer, but it might be the best one.
    Unless you possess the skills to diagnose and repair the issue with either galvo or driver, you should probably just order a new set, swap them out and put the old set on the shelf for spares.
    They don't sell spare parts, so knowing which bit is broken is irrelevant in terms of buying the part you need. All options that requiring anything to be bought result in a new set, so might as well just get one.