Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween laser show, FAA clearance?

Question Halloween laser show, FAA clearance?

Not sure if this is exactly the right place to be posting this, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Hope you guys are doing well. It has been a while since I posted, but I have a question about an outdoor show I am planning on Halloween in the driveway of a house. I am wondering if I need to notify the FAA of the show since it is outdoors. I will be setting up a screen in the driveway which will be used as the projection surface. No projections would be done out into the open air, or out along the horizon, and all beams would be stopped within 15 ft or so by the screen and or the house behind it. The projector is 3w, so the area will be fenced off to prevent any exposure to the laser. I have had a pending variance application for a year or so but already run/report shows since I understand this is now legal, and want to make sure I don't make any mistakes. Also, if it makes any difference, the show is being done at no charge.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

/ Connor
    Last edited by Glrock; 10-13-2018 at 20:14.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hi Connor,

As long as it is fully terminated, you do not have to file for an FAA letter of non objection but, good for asking. I don't however, know of the validity of doing shows with the variance pending although, a year is an awfully long time and I know there is an issue about CDRH impeding commerce.
    PM Sent...

Thanks for the info. That sure is relieving. As for the variance, I was told by a friend who owns a large laser production company, (Prismatic Magic) that nowadays, the CDRH is so slow that you basically never get letters of acknowledgment and the only thing you can do is submit all of the proper reporting. I also believe the case with the CDRH impeding commerce also made this legal. Since they run thousands of shows yearly, I am trusting that information.

Brad, how many new projectors have you acquired since I was last here?

Ha. Probably about 5. And then sold 2 and traded one. So I'm up a net 2.
    (Which is still about, oh, 18-20 too many.)
    PM Sent...

sorry you were informed wrong the cdrh is quicker then ever the last 2 years the turn around time is 2 weeks in most cases but nomore then 4 weeks if it is more then 6 weeks there is a problem i have had them approved in 3 days from receiving the paperwork (found it on line ) before it was mailed

I'm also planning on doing a halloween laser show on the front of my house. Probably a 1-watt projector.

Also, check these out: https://vimeo.com/292848982

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    I'm also planning on doing a halloween laser show on the front of my house. Probably a 1-watt projector.

Cool. I didn't know Nisha had these available. I bought them. :-)
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Glrock View Post
    Thanks for the info. That sure is relieving. As for the variance, I was told by a friend who owns a large laser production company, (Prismatic Magic) that nowadays, the CDRH is so slow that you basically never get letters of acknowledgment and the only thing you can do is submit all of the proper reporting. I also believe the case with the CDRH impeding commerce also made this legal. Since they run thousands of shows yearly, I am trusting that information.

Brad, how many new projectors have you acquired since I was last here?
    I *NEVER* received any correspondence back (past the initial accession # letter) when I sent in my variance paperwork. Finally I just went to the FDA notice and comment website, searched my accession # and there was my shiny variance, just sitting there... so I downloaded it. Maybe you're in the same boat?

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post

Like the 3D lettering, awesome. Also like the grave animation.

Sorry, it's been a few days since I could respond.

Boy, the variance process throws me for a loop. I've nearly had a heart attack like 5 times now. Let me just tell you what I did/received.

I initially sent in the application in early 2018, and it was received on the 10th of January and received this letter of acknowledgment, which only seems to state that they received the application.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file-1.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	54655

After waiting for a while, in March, I received this letter.

Name:	file1.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	54656

I filed the product report and sent it in. I have yet to receive any acknowledgment of it. As of right now, both my initial application and the acknowledgment letter are visible as redacted reports on the regulations.gov website, as shown below.

Name:	file2.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	54657

Did this letter represent the recognition of the variance in the first place? Does the fact it appears on the website show that my variance is still in effect?

Thank you to all for the help you have provided in guiding me through this process.

That graphics pack is pretty cool! Personally, I'm working on a monster mash show using various pangolin cues and a few of my own drawings/animations. Much more basic than that though.
    Last edited by Glrock; 10-16-2018 at 17:42.