Thread: Getting the mojo back

Default Getting the mojo back

What do you do when your creative juices are not all they once where?
    Have you sat down to program a show and found the end result not up to the level they once where?
    How do you regain the magic. I watch my older shows and then my new ones and just laugh.

Hehe. What do you do? Hire a young person

It reminds me of this story (and stories like it)
    http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-new...udy-finds.html

I go skateboarding.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

pretty much every show i make, i say: "how come this isn't as good as my last one?".

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    What do you do when your creative juices are not all they once where?
    Have you sat down to program a show and found the end result not up to the level they once where?
    How do you regain the magic. I watch my older shows and then my new ones and just laugh.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

There's this book. It's called the "Artist's Way". It's about overcoming that block thing. Rediscovering your creativity. Now I've never lost my creativity, but the motivation to grind through the grunt work involved in doing something creative - that's a problem I fight...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    There's this book. It's called the "Artist's Way". It's about overcoming that block thing. Rediscovering your creativity. Now I've never lost my creativity, but the motivation to grind through the grunt work involved in doing something creative - that's a problem I fight...
    i will look it up. I think I need to spend some time rebuilding my graphics. The reason I laugh is I’ve become the king of clip art! The next show I do I am going to ban myself from premade frames. I think that is a big part of it. I also have become very literal. If it says I saw a bird I use a bird. That’s ok but not very interesting. I like and miss the metaphors in the visuals that make you think. I’m also really trying hard to avoid. Fade in zoom in spin zoom/fade out. Blahhhhhhh. Maybe I need a quick trip....to Canada.

i started this thread because I’m sure I’m not the only one who runs into a slump. I thought I’d just step right back in where I left off. Seems you have earn your way back like doing the hard work in a gym after getting fat and happy. Speaking of which....food coma. No more turkey and pie for me.

so we can move up down left right zoom in zoom out. We can spin and transform, we can modulate color. One aspect I have not studied is we can modulate dark. Maybe some content based more on what you don’t see then what you do see. Artful masking.

Something else i noticed is 24 bit color completely changes all older art. In some ways I do not like it. In some ways th epotential for studies in hues is compelling.

as laserist said it’s the grunt work to make these things happen and the energy of artistic activation to motivate to do them that seems the magic sauce.

bill that reminds me of an article I read few weeks back claiming there is a cell type associated with most forms of aging that once removed stops or reverses many of the effects of aging such as inflammation reactions like arthritis. They claim that it builds up as we get older and contributes to Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. I’ll see if can find it again. They claim it works in mice and is going into human trials. If real...cough cough....I want to invest in that startup!

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...ent-cells-mice

i included the nih cuz I would not post a guardian article without backup!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...aubrey-de-grey
    Last edited by kecked; 11-24-2018 at 14:42.

Literal laser shows - I was thinking about that today. I ran across a amazing performer named Mike Dawes. OMG! Instrumental BTW. Mind blowing guitarist. I think there's room for a literal interpretation of lyrics, I don't have any idea how to make it work, but hey it could happen...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I'm also going to voice an opinion that will go over like a fart in church but, I know you used to use LD2000 and perhaps you're now using Beyond. I personally have not seen much done in Beyond that's better than what was done with LD2000. Now, to be fair, I realize a lot has to do with the artists and, a lot has to do with the length of time a legacy piece of software like LD2000 was in artists hands compared to the relatively short period the Beyond has been in existence. There's simply a larger body of work out there for LD2000. Maybe someday that will change but, as far as I'm concerned some of the best shows out there were created with LD.
    PM Sent...

LSD? Not for me, but I'm serious. Take a look at this link to an artist on LSD that dzodzo posted in the PL chatroom a few weeks ago.

Now that's probably going a step too far, but I find a shower while listening to the tune I'm working on helps generate some new ideas from my tired old brain. (An Amazon Echo sounds really good and plays specific tunes on command.) I find a shower often works for solving both creative as well as analytical problems.

I also agree with The Laserist. I have thought through many shows I would like to do and can't muster the enthusiasm to get through the hundreds of hours it takes to get them implemented. If I had a dollar for every show I started and later abandoned . .

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

My two cents for what its worth. There are many days I just make abstract patterns while watching TV with no intent on putting them into any show. Its kind of like a sketch book if you will. I find that by doing this I can push the creativity without being restricted by the music. By making small manipulations to a base pattern and saving them off along the way (going down the rabbit hole of LSX expressions) I end up with a series of patterns that are similar but different. After doing this for several days and going down several different rabbit holes I usually get inspired to make a show or feel that some of the patterns I just made are worthy of being in a show. Then when I sit down to make the show I can use my new library to take care of the key elements. Usually by this point I am locked into the song and the rest just comes natural.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981