Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Another newbie, question about usb dmx dongle

You have to compile LaserBoy for Mac OSX. There are howtos about it.

LaserBoy deals with colors very well. But your projector only makes 7. The reason why some ild files work and some don't is because there are 4 different kinds. Your projector only reads format 0, 3D frames with an assumed pallet of 63 colors.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

LaserBoy,

Oh I have it up and running on my Mac, I just was wondering how to run the chill that you spoke about. :-)

Go iinto menu x and make sure setting c is off. Load a frame set in LB. Go to menu o to output. Pick 1 for ild. Pick a directory. Pick 5 for a frame set effect by name. Type chil [enter]. name the output file. Open the output file to make sure it's what you want.

There are other threads on how to use LB to make SD card reader files.
    Last edited by james; 12-05-2018 at 17:16.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I did that and lost all my colors when I reopened the output file.

How can I do the above without losing my colors. Here's what I am currently doing.

Draw animations in illustrator
    Export to SVG - with layers
    convert SVG to ILD using OLA from zoofpak (they look great in OLA and it uses the layers to create the frames)

I've been opening these ILD files in Lasershow Gen so I can export to format 0 - this is where things get iffy. Some of the ILD files work and look ok on SD and some just don't. Trying to keep my colors the same or if not, find the combos the laser can handle.

I thought maybe if I could get the laser to talk to my computer I could just play the show from Laser show Gen or one of the other programs, maybe RayComposer.

I could recolor in LaserBoy? How could I do that in LaserBoy or one of the others I am using up above?

Thanks for any more help you could offer!

Sounds like a palette issue. The SD card reader assumes all frames use the default palette of 63 colors. If you open in.ild that comes with LB, all frames in this file use the default palette.

Go into the p menu. You can see whatever palette each frame uses or if it is 24 bit color. You can also see a target palette. Up and down arrow through all of the palettes loaded in the LB pallet set. Find the default palette and hit B (capital) to do a best match of all frames to this palette.

When you save it do it by calling the chil effect.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Jerilyng View Post
    I thought maybe if I could get the laser to talk to my computer I could just play the show from Laser show Gen or one of the other programs, maybe RayComposer.
    Your laser projector does not support ILDA input, so you can't send frames from your computer to the projector in real time. You must first load the frames onto the SD card and then trigger them via DMX. (Or set the projector on "auto" mode so it will cycle through the frames on the SD card automatically.) Note that DMX has no way to send frame data to your projector.

If you want to connect the projector directly to your computer to play back frames in real time, you will need to first re-wire the projector and add an ILDA-in connector (Male DB-25 port) to the back plate. Then you will need to purchase a laser show controller. If you are already using the Laserboy software, you can use a modified sound card + a signal correction amplifier to send frames from Laserboy to the projector via the newly-installed ILDA port. This is probably the most affordable option.

James: I seem to remember you talking in another thread about the fact that you still have some of the correction amp kits available.?. And you also said you had found some of the 8-channel USB sound cards for a cheap price, right? Would you might re-posting that info here? (I assume there is a MAC-compatible driver for those sound cards...)

Adam

Yes. I have a very nice LaserBoy Correction Amp kit. And you can find the C-Media 6206 USB sound device for less than $20. But modifying that projector to take ilda signals is not trivial. The TTL laser drivers do not accept 5 volts to come on.

There are several other laser applications that can be used with a modified sound device other than LaserBoy. Some are free and some not.

Correction Amp:
    http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=561.0

USB sound device:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...b-3cc6f3eb2863
    Last edited by james; 12-06-2018 at 06:11.

Ok I tried two things.

I tried fixing the pallet and saving like you said and I got a bunch of weird lines that don't match the animation at all :-(

Perhaps it's time to start sharing your files.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

For sure!

Do you want the original or the ones I generated from LB? I'll attach one from LB that I just did, and one that is working on my machine.

Sally is NOT working
    Schroeder is working - this came from LasershowGen
    Attached Files Attached Files