Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Another newbie, question about usb dmx dongle

Quote Originally Posted by dchammonds View Post
    Well, that seems to be a problem...

No it isn't. It works very well and some other developers who started their projects after LaserBoy have also used this technique. As a matter of fact LaserBoy has been used by many developers as a reference standard for all sorts of things.

Another very good reason why black should be included in every palette is legacy. I'm sure you remember VGA video cards. To this day video cards still support VGA settings. If you put a video card into 8 bit per pixel, palette mode, you write the frame palette into the video card ram. Since you only have 256 colors in total, black better be one of them. That's the background of the frame display area.

Also take into consideration that when you open Linus.ild you get lit black. So the art is actually all there. You don't get blanked lines that are not distinguishable from all the real blanking paths. So you can fix it.

Also, no color definition in a dxf drawing is assumed to be black. LB sees black in a dxf image and can make it white when it loads it.
    Last edited by james; 12-09-2018 at 09:45.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post

Also take into consideration that when you open Linus.ild you get lit black. So the art is actually all there. You don't get blanked lines that are not distinguishable from all the real blanking paths. So you can fix it.
    Now all I need is to get myself a blacklight laser diode!

Speaking of Linus, what's with the dark gray stripes on his shirt?
    Last edited by dchammonds; 12-09-2018 at 09:58.

Quote Originally Posted by dchammonds View Post
    Now all I need is to get myself a blacklight laser diode!

Speaking of Linus, what's with the dark gray stripes on his shirt?
    405nm is pretty close.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

If you look at the real Linus - he has a red shirt with black stripes ;-) I'm kind of a peanuts nut. Was looking to add a little laser show in my window (with a screen) for Christmas, and maybe a halloween one.

I wonder, if i started out with these specific values way back in my illustrator files if that would help things convert better, they are RGB right now anyways. It seems like the files work better with more points, when I bring them into OLA with less points, there is weird point pulling going on.

When you say Linus has too much going on does that mean lines and such or points specifically. When I say more points, I add the points in illustrator and save them into SVG files to covert in OLA.

Well this is interesting!

https://www.ilda.com/resources/Stand...F14_rev011.pdf

This came out on my birthday, 4 years ago!

There are some differences.

I wish I could find where I got the original 63 color palette information. I think it might have come from laserfx.com.

The reason you see dark gray lines in Linus.ild is because there is a special factor in the LB code called rendered_black. It is used whenever a vector's color is below black_level. It is defined as (16, 16, 16) so you can actually see it on a true black background. The value of black_level can be set by the user and it is used for importing digital audio recordings. There is no guarantee that the digital recording will in fact give you absolute values of 0 (zero) in all three channels of R G & B. So you can set a threshold. Below the threshold is considered blank when importing waves.

Attached is ILDAspec.txt in LB text palette format.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails palettes.png  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by james; 12-09-2018 at 11:13.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Jerilyng View Post
    If you look at the real Linus - he has a red shirt with black stripes ;-) I'm kind of a peanuts nut. Was looking to add a little laser show in my window (with a screen) for Christmas, and maybe a halloween one.

I wonder, if i started out with these specific values way back in my illustrator files if that would help things convert better, they are RGB right now anyways. It seems like the files work better with more points, when I bring them into OLA with less points, there is weird point pulling going on.

When you say Linus has too much going on does that mean lines and such or points specifically. When I say more points, I add the points in illustrator and save them into SVG files to covert in OLA.
    Since your laser can only make 7 colors; red, green, blue, yellow, cyan, magenta, white, you should use only these colors when you make your art from the get go.

The ultimate goal of any laser frame artist is to get as much out of as little as possible. Remember, scanners only move so fast and yours probably aren't very good (sorry it's just a fact). Assuming your frames are properly optimized for your scanners, you will be showing them at a predetermined rate of points per second. So, do the math! How long at that rate would it take to draw all points in the frame? If your answer is more than a 10th of a second, it will flicker pretty bad.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Oh I totally get I don't have the best laser out there, no offense taken at all! Maybe I'll get a nicer one but this is simple and if I can get it to work, all I am looking for.

OK Dean. Here's your exported Anarchy palette compared to the Default palette built into LB.

I don't see much difference. This leads me to believe that Anarchy must have been where I got it from in the first place.

I do notice that there are 64 color definitions and none of them are black. This is odd because of the legacy issues I posted before. You can count 64 items with a 6 bit number. So having 65 (to include black) makes no sense.

The one color that is defined in Anarchy and not in Default is the 63rd index of (255, 32, 32) a slightly tinted red.

See attached txt file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anarchy.png  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    The one color that is defined in Anarchy and not in Default is the 63rd index of (255, 32, 32) a slightly tinted red.

See attached txt file.
    That's because the default palette is a wraparound continuum similar to an RGB rainbow.

I think you need to consider the fact that the earliest software developed for color laser display was done on Amiga. And I think that had 6 bit palette indexed color.

Probably the best answer to this question would come from LFI as they are the ones who created this palette in the first place.

You might also note that the suggested palette defined in the 2014 ILDA Spec has 63 colors, allowing the 64th to be black.
    Last edited by james; 12-09-2018 at 14:06.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials