Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TTL/Analoge drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Shysk View Post
    Hi, i've been away from this for a while, however, i've been reading all the post and replies.
    I have a few question now, since i didn't tought of this for a while .
    I will decide to buy the SimpleDrivers, do i need any good heatskink for them?
    Can i make a show only from the Sdcard in the projector?
    Lat but not least; If in a show, i have the diodes permantly going off and on, doesn't that affect the life of the diode? Since the first current can cause peaks?
    Greetings, and Happy new year!
    You only need to mount the drivers to your optic plate along with a bit of thermal conductive paste. Generally, no additional heatsink is required.

Yes you could make a show and play it from an SD card, but that's kind of limiting compared to running it with software and a DAC.

Regarding the diode, what do you mean about "permanently going off and on"? Diode drivers are generally meant to be able to switch on and off very quickly without current spikes, otherwise you'd fry your diode quickly.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shysk View Post
    Last but not least; If in a show, i have the diodes permanently going off and on, doesn't that affect the life of the diode? Since the first current can cause peaks?
    This is why you want to purchase a properly-engineered laser diode driver.

Spiking the diode drive current will shorten the diode's life, yes. However, a good laser diode driver will not do this. It should merely increase the current to the maximum current level it was set for, with no over-shoot. (It will also run the current up to a value that is proportionally-lower than the maximum, based on the modulation input signal.) So long as you set the maximum current to a level that is within the specifications of the laser diode, you will not damage it.

Adam