Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser Tattoo removers

Laser Warning Laser Tattoo removers

Hello, so I was wondering if anyone has had experience salvaging laser parts from Medical laser Tattoo Removers. I have been looking into buying one but have been hesitant to pull the trigger on it. The laser is similar to this http://persian.ipldiodelaserhairremo..._reduction.jpg

From what I understand on how they are constructed all the laser parts are in the gun itself and the water pump and driving electronics are in the base. Due to shipping constraints I am only looking at buying the gun part of it. Do you guys think that there would be any good salvageable parts in it? Or are my efforts better looking for something else to salvage parts from?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by fiberguy View Post
    From what I understand on how they are constructed all the laser parts are in the gun itself and the water pump and driving electronics are in the base.
    Don't know where you got that idea. The laser is in the base and the beam is fed via a fiber optic cable up to the "gun".

Due to shipping constraints I am only looking at buying the gun part of it. Do you guys think that there would be any good salvageable parts in it?
    There isn't much in the "gun" apart from the focusing lens for the end of the fiber and a small galvo that scans the beam side to side. If you are trying to salvage laser parts you need the base.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Don't know where you got that idea. The laser is in the base and the beam is fed via a fiber optic cable up to the "gun".

There isn't much in the "gun" apart from the focusing lens for the end of the fiber and a small galvo that scans the beam side to side. If you are trying to salvage laser parts you need the base.

Adam
    I dont think any of these lasers have galvos in them. They dont scan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPq-bzE79JY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xFd5yid_vs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyiXNYugGqY

What laser tattoo removal machine are you referencing / have seen that does that?
    Last edited by fiberguy; 12-02-2018 at 12:30.

I'll be damned...

OK, I retract my previous statement. I did not expect this to be a pure-diode laser! But in light of the videos you linked to, it's clear that these are not fiber-fed at all. The umbilical provides cooling water and DC power to the diode block located in the handpiece. So, yes, the diodes themselves must be there.

Looks like they pull a good bit of current though, judging by the size of the wire.

Adam

PS: The medical laser I was referring to was an ND-YAG that used a scanning mirror to sweep the beam side to side for tattoo removal. You could adjust the path width from a dot to a line about 3 inches wide, and when you pulled the trigger it would spin up the galvo and then fire the laser.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I'll be damned...

OK, I retract my previous statement. I did not expect this to be a pure-diode laser! But in light of the videos you linked to, it's clear that these are not fiber-fed at all. The umbilical provides cooling water and DC power to the diode block located in the handpiece. So, yes, the diodes themselves must be there.

Looks like they pull a good bit of current though, judging by the size of the wire.

Adam

PS: The medical laser I was referring to was an ND-YAG that used a scanning mirror to sweep the beam side to side for tattoo removal. You could adjust the path width from a dot to a line about 3 inches wide, and when you pulled the trigger it would spin up the galvo and then fire the laser.

Hahaha, no worries. I was surprised too when I found the repair videos, just wanted to make sure I knew what I was looking at given the awesome 144p resolution. So im hoping to buy one ill have to figure out how to drive it a bit later :P. Probably a summer project.

Interesting. What wavelengths do these things use? Or specifically, is it visible light?

1064 nm or 532 nm. Not sure if its doubled or not. But most likely it is 1064nm

Quote Originally Posted by fiberguy View Post
    1064 nm or 532 nm. Not sure if its doubled or not. But most likely it is 1064nm
    It's not 532nm if it's direct diode. Unlikely it's 1064nm either. Probably using 808nm in the diode units.

... I have fibercoupled laserdiodes with 25W and 30W @975nm out from a single fiber with 0.1mm diameter ... and 25W @808nm out from a fiber-bundle with 0,7mm diameter.

Don't know exactly, which powers can be emitted with single pulses and "overpowering" ... but managed to melt a plastic lens, usable with more than 30 Watts excessive power with a 9Watt-diode and a "faulty" driver, which powered the diode with 10x the max. current spikes for maybe a second, until the fiber burned away!

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    It's not 532nm if it's direct diode. Unlikely it's 1064nm either. Probably using 808nm in the diode units.

Its a Nd Yag Laser. So I doubt it is 808nm.