Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winamp like visualizations

The QM-2000 idea sounds great, but I don't have one, and would have to get one and a PC to run it.

The Laserdock is $200 plus $25 shipping, which I think would cost less than and be a little easier to setup than the QM-2000, although a little bit less functional.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I have done this a little bit with Beyond. The FFT feature works well enough to get you started. As long as the music is changing, even a simple "squiggler" works great. I have a bunch of cues driven by audio now.
    Would you be willing to upload those cues to the ftp site? I know Hank has a copy of Beyond; if he could download the cues you've made, that might be enough for what he's trying to do. And if not, he could use your examples as a starting point to build more cues.

That's cheaper than buying a $200 laserdock!

Adam

When I get home from work, I can upload a few of them.

It's not too difficult to set up. I use a 3.5mm splitter coming off my computer's speaker output and send one output to the amplifier and the other loops back into my line-in for "listening" to the audio. In Beyond, I just apply the FFT channels to the FMs and AMs in the Classic LD2000 Abstract generator. You can play with the gain settings and fall-off settings in the "Audio" tab to alter the pattern as well as changing the waveforms of the FMs for the oscillator banks. Best to make copies of the cues to play with and select from. I'll also see if I can grab some screenshots for setting up.

I have also applied the FFT function to the Abstraction tool albeit, with less success. I still can't get the hang of Abstraction. I keep saying that I need to play with it more but I find myself going back to the LD2000 abstracts. It's like a nice warm blanket! Anyway, yeah, FFT is fun to play with and as I said before, with different music and setting your variables to different frequency bands, the possibilities are literally limitless.

You can also apply FFT to effects as well. I haven't explored this too much but I have done it on a few cues.

Really cool stuff!
    I have the WinAmp plug-in for my QM2000 & a Laser Dock. Both have their Pros & Cons. I find myself using both about equal.

Good Luck Hank.
    Let us know how it works out for you.
    Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for your post! Glad to hear that they're about equal in function. I'd like to do the QM route, but I think that would end up being more expensive than the Laserdock. I could use Beyond+FB3, but that sounds like it's going to take a lot of time to muck around with and still require a computer. Laserdock seems more "plug and play" for what I want to use it for, and has lots of other features as well (and I could use a cheap android tablet for control). And 'time is money' so I think I'm going to go that route as soon as I find someone selling one used.

-Hank

So I picked up a new Laserdock dongle on ebay with a 15% off coupon that Ebay runs occasionally.. so $195 delivered.

I like this thing a lot. Besides the visualizations, it has a lot of other fun apps and games.

Here's a video of the types of visualizations I was looking for (sorry for the vertical video). This one song probably only captures 20% of all the available visualizations in the software. Some of them definitely look like they're Swami's contributions to me.

click for video:
    https://youtu.be/fq1Cr4zZ-8I

This is being run on the "Spider" projector from Buffo and DZ.

The only strange part was that they included a 10 foot USB A->USB B cable, when the dongle needs a Micro-USB cable. I guess older Laserdocks had a USB-B jack.

Bottom line: Fits the bill perfectly for what I wanted, in a tiny box.

I had an ebay alert setup for 'laserdock'.. There's a guy on there now selling two laserdock dongles for $166(used) and $184(new) [free shipping], as well as three new Laserdock LD1000 projectors for about $640 and an LD2000 for $800, if anyone is looking for a dongle or projector.

see: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...rdock&_sacat=0