Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another newbie, question about usb dmx dongle

Laser Warning Another newbie, question about usb dmx dongle

Do I need anything else to talk from my computer to my laser projector? I got a cheap laser from china just to play around with doing some animations for Christmas parties. I'm not having much luck getting my ilda files to read correctly from the sd card so I bought this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Interf.../dp/B00ZQNIAP8

hoping to just talk directly to the laser. I'm sure I need more than that. surprising there is not more info online about this laser stuff.

Any insight is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerilyng View Post
    Do I need anything else to talk from my computer to my laser projector? I got a cheap laser from china just to play around with doing some animations for Christmas parties. I'm not having much luck getting my ilda files to read correctly from the sd card so I bought this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Interf.../dp/B00ZQNIAP8

hoping to just talk directly to the laser. I'm sure I need more than that. surprising there is not more info online about this laser stuff.

Any insight is appreciated.
    Is your laser DMX controllable? Please link us to the laser.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Or upload a picture. Does it have what's called a DB25 connector on the back - kind of like what you would have used to see on a printer? D shaped thing with 25 pins.
    PM Sent...

Default Pics, thanks

Thanks, I know it takes some patience to deal with Newbies. Please see pics of my laser dmx connections and the usb dongle I bought. I've downloaded a generic udmx - usb driver, this is what my mac says is plugged in when I plug in the dongle. This touts itself as to be used with freestyler.

uDMX:

Product ID: 0x05dc
    Vendor ID: 0x16c0
    Version: 1.02
    Serial Number: ilLUTZminator001
    Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: www.anyma.ch
    Location ID: 0x14100000 / 14
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Extra Operating Current (mA): 0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0041.jpg  

Do you have the user's manual for your projector? It should specify the proper file format for copying ILDA frames to the SD card, and it should also list the DMX channels used to select the frames for playback.

Note that most of these Chinese DMX-only projectors require the frames to be in a specific directory on the SD card with sequentially-numbered file names in order to work properly.

In theory the USB-to-DMX dongle you purchased should be able to control the projector, provided you have the correct address and channel data programmed. But you also need to be sure the projector can read the files off the SD card.

Adam

Default Ilda

I am having a lot of trouble getting the ilda files to read on the laser from the SD card even though the programs I’ve been using are seeing the files ok. I’m not well versed enough in all this to troubleshoot effectively. The manual is vague in the ilda settings and written in poor English on top of that. I will post a pic later because there is a table of settings that are Greek (rather Chinese) to me. Maybe y’all can help me interpret.

A picture of the settings table in the manual would definitely help! I agree that many Chinese manuals are difficult to decipher, but with several people looking at it I'm sure we can figure it out.

Adam

Question

OK here is the complete manual - 3 pages LOL. I don't think I mentioned but I am on a mac.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0048.jpg  

IMG_0049.jpg  

IMG_0050.jpg  

LaserBoy has a frame set effect called chil that does a good job optimizing ilda files for SD card readers that read ild files. It also writes ctn files that are sometimes read by SD card readers. It comes with a text file about processing and storing files on SD cards.

It compiles in Mac OSX.
    Last edited by james; 12-05-2018 at 17:05.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Hmm, I do have LaserBoy on my Mac, can you run through how I do that? How does it do on colors, they don't have to be perfect.

I have got a couple of Ildas to play but I can't figure out why one works and one doesn't.