Thread: What is the least expensive solution for triggering patterns via dmx

Default What is the least expensive solution for triggering patterns via dmx

My use case is completely DJ work (beams) and I only expect to ever communicate with the projector via dmx. That said, I understand that the internal patterns in most of the projectors in my price range (probably Goldenstar) are not so great.

So, my question is what is the least expensive software/hardware solution that allow me to preset some nice shows/patterns and then recall those via dmx connection directly to the projector? My understanding is that FB3/Quickshow won't do that. Is there anything less expensive than the FB4 DMX?

Or do I even need that, can I just use software like LasershowGen to produce the patterns, then save them to SD card and recall using the onboard dmx on the projector?

Thanks for any direction you can provide.
    Last edited by fearfair; 02-24-2019 at 06:42.
    Fear Fair - Indiana's Scariest Haunted House
    www.FearFair.com

If you want to be able to easily control the patterns you're displaying then Pangolin might still be your best options.
    You can go about it 2 ways.
    Either:
    Use FB4 with pre-loaded cues/shows via ArtNET and direct to projector connection.
    Connect to the laser computer and use QS/Beyond as a fixture and control it via DMX
    https://pangolin.com/blogs/education...-a-dmx-console

If you can find an old FB3-SE or XE then they have SD card on board which can be loaded with cues from Quickshow and recalled.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Use FB4 with pre-loaded cues/shows via ArtNET and direct to projector connection..
    But that requires the FB4 w/ add on dmx, though, correct? I don’t want to have to add a laptop to the chain. Simpler and quicker to setup the better.
    Fear Fair - Indiana's Scariest Haunted House
    www.FearFair.com

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by fearfair View Post
    But that requires the FB4 w/ add on dmx, though, correct? I don’t want to have to add a laptop to the chain. Simpler and quicker to setup the better.
    X-Laser Mercury is designed for this... You may have to fight to get ahold of it, however.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 02-25-2019 at 06:44.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Just use a crappy DMX board with SD card slot then. I think it's a bit of a dark art getting the ILDA files in the correct format and the text file with the indexing all sorted though.
    Or the FB3-SE/XE option, which might be the most versatile as you can use it as an actual FB3 if you want to.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    X-Laser Mercury is designed for this.
    I will second the recommendation for the X-Laser Mercury system. It's perfect for people who want to control a laser projector with a lighting console, especially if you don't want to be constrained to just triggering effects from the limited number of patterns stored on a memory card in the projector. Mercury has "builders" that you can use to create custom effects on-the-fly right from the lighting console. If DMX is your thing, Mercury is what you want. (And X-Laser offers it in a wide range of projectors, from 500 mw to 20 watts.)

That being said, as a laser guy I actually don't care for Mercury, but that's because I really don't like using a lighting console. I think using dedicated software for lasers is easier, and it gives me more flexibility as well. However, I have spoken with some lighting guys who absolutely *LOVE* their lighting desks and really don't want to learn the laser software. So for those people, Mercury is a much better solution because it allows them to take advantage of all the power they have in their console to create laser effects. That's a lot better than just triggering a bunch of canned cues!

Adam