Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Tria Hair Removal" uses IR laser and is a consumer product, but is it safe?

... AFAIK "eye-related" laser tests are made with pig eyes (or skin related with pig skin too) - so no need to harm living beeings

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

edited cuz I never should have posted it......
    Last edited by kecked; 01-17-2019 at 09:40.

... I don't think, it's strong enough to burn the hair - should be more a medium range (some milliseconds duration) pulse-generator, barely strong enough, to "cook" some of the cells at the hair root ...

Viktor
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

it doesn't really burn her hair, but the other photo ones do and yeah those can stink. I'm not sure why though both look like light pulses except this one is less visible and a laser

... depends on power, focus diameter (or energy density) and wavelength - visible lasers will heat the hair and skin, invisible (IR) will penetrate the skin and heat the tissue beneath ...

Viktor

Default Crazy but true: this thing is probably legal!

I found the company's premarket notification and also the CDRH's reply.

The CDRH does warn the company in their reply that they still need to comply with all regulations, including 21 CFR 1000 through 1050 (which includes 1040, the laser product standard), but they also state that this device appears similar to other laser hair removal systems that are currently permitted for sale without further certification under a laser product manufacturer's variance.

Wait, WHAT???

I know that sounds crazy, but hear me out: it seems that this device (and others like it) manages to just barely miss being defined in every clause for which the FDA has jurisdiction. That's why you can still buy these things on Amazon.

So we all know that medical lasers, be they for surgery or therapy, are clearly covered under the medical devices clause. Likewise, light show lasers fall under the entertainment laser clause. Pointers fall under the "alignment, leveling, and surveying clause" (albeit just barely). Laser engravers and cutters are covered under industrial lasers.

But this thing is basically marketed as an in-home, personal, "shaving assisting device". (Seriously! The website even comes right out and says that this is designed to be used along with regular shaving!) But the FDA doesn't have a category for "devices to assist with shaving in the home".

And since it doesn't fall into any of the other pre-defined categories, it's sort of a grey area... Evidently the FDA decided at some point in the past that they do not have jurisdiction over these types of devices. That's probably why you can find so many of them on the market. This device falls into a convenient loophole in the regs.

Note that the state of Florida has passed a law that says, in essence, "We don't care if you aren't marketing this as a medical device, we still think it qualifies as one and we want more info!" So watch it in Florida... But otherwise it appears that it's 100% legal to sell these things in the rest of the USA with no variance, no laser warning labels, no safety equipment, and no laser product report on file. (Who would have thought, right?)

All that being said, I completely agree that it is *NOT* eye-safe. It is definitely capable of causing eye damage! I'm sure they warn you about this in the manual, but even so it seems sketchy as hell. And based on David's description of his wife using one, I think it's probably a lousy alternative to a razor in the first place.

Adam

I will say this, it seems more powerful than the other photo ones my gf had. Those heat up the skin and burn what is left from the shaven hair in hopes of the heat traveling from the hair tip all the way to the root and heating the root as well and damaging the follicle. Testing this one on my finger I could lierally feel by bone heating to a very uncomfortable level and I have a very high pain tolerance.
    I then tried on some lone hair on my shoulder I've had since forever. The hair came out when gently pulled with some black goo on the root I've never experienced, it was as if the root had been boiled and melted, for lack of a better word. It's definitely very powerful and I don't know if safe enough to sell to people for home use. Sure, with the photo ones you can probably dazzle yourself or even permanently damage your vision but this is more dangerous as the only thing you can see is some red led light and the laser itself is invisible. People often have facial hair on their cheeks and on the edges of their eyebrows they want removed and that is dangerously close to the eyes. In both cases the light can travel through light skin of the cheeks, near eyebrows and through the eyelid skin to your eyeballs. At that point I don't know how much of the light would have been absorbed by the skin and how focused the light would still be, but there's that.

One other thing that I didn't like of the device was it having a supposed safety measure where you have to put the bottom of the device on your skin which has a low power laser and photodiode to be able to turn on the device. This supposedly makes sure your skin is light toned enough for the IR light to not damage it. The thing is its a simple photodiode so there are two huge flaws with this security measure, one is people have different skin tones on different part of their bodies so you can unlock it by putting the device on your hand then scar birthmarks, the edges of your lips, nipples and private parts and secondly if you put it on something like a light wood or plastic furniture it turns on.

There is also no yellow laser warning sign on the device.