Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: what exaaaaactly does 30000 pps mean...?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

There are a lot of laser show folks in Seattle. You just need to find them.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Spaghetti is C++/Win32/MFC. I avoid a lot of MFC, though. Microsoft exects everyone to use WPF for frontends for C++ apps I guess. WPF and Winforms will be coming to .net core 3.0 which will make it cross platform. Interesting, but I would still like a nice C++ UI toolkit. No one seems to care about that use case anymore. Professionally, I am working on a web app and it sucks trying to get decent performance out of a browser app. That's progress I guess.
    I'm not using mfc itself. I have some classes directly on top of win32 api that does just what mfc does but without the junkiness. All the classes jammed into an os.h and a ui.h

Yeah, browser != real time os...

webassembly seems almost ready for prime time? i guess?
    But i dunno if it's gonna handle laser-y speeds...

But i think people are gonna get sick of os specific GUI apis... I know i am.
    css gives you a lot more conSISTENT prettiness. But javascript gives you janky slopp.p...

Oh well. I should quit pontificating. And just do what works. That's what we dooo.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    If the DAC is operating in streaming mode (where it's not doing any optimization of the points in the frame itself), then yes, more or less,

See if this post helps. The last section describes what is going on with that center circle that just touches the square.

Have you heard about SELEM yet?

Adam
    Thanks dude! So the circle is 12 points where the galvos are freakin with intertia, eh?
    (10 sided figure is 12 points? Wouldn't it be an 11 sided? But i get your point there)

That helps. But I'm still a little wobbly (ha! get it?). But I think I'm fine with wobbly.
    My frames are lookin a lot better now.
    Nowwwww my problem is dealin with logarithmic color sigh...

SE ??? I'm in NW... No faaaair...

Quote Originally Posted by stephenhazel View Post
    Thanks dude! So the circle is 12 points where the galvos are freakin with intertia, eh?
    Yep. The points that make up the circle are all outside the square, and there are only 12 of them. (Well, technically there are 36 of them, since the laser makes 3 trips around the circle, but you get my drift.) And yes, during that time the scanners are "ballistic" - that is, they are under constant, maximum acceleration trying to overcome their own inertia. And the -3dB distortion that Steve was talking about above represents the difference in positional accuracy between the point's location on the frame (well outside the square) vs the laser's actual position just inside the square.

(10 sided figure is 12 points? Wouldn't it be an 11 sided? But i get your point there)
    It's 12 points, and 12 sides too, if you want to look at it that way. (Dodecagon.) And yeah, there is a typo in the post I linked you to. Just noticed it myself! I'll go fix that right now.

Nowwwww my problem is dealin with logarithmic color sigh...
    That's a whole 'nother can of worms. And even if you get it perfect (based on some theoretical standard, like the CIE color chart, for example) people will still tell you that you got it wrong, because color is subjective and *everyone* has their own opinion concerning the ideal color balance. And really, they're all valid. So don't kill yourself over it. Get it looking good to your eyes and call it a day. (Otherwise you risk your sanity...)

SE ??? I'm in NW... No faaaair...
    They have these things called "airplanes" now; perhaps you've heard of them? (Just messing with you!)

Seriously though, we have several people who fly in from the west coast to attend SELEM. A few of them have even driven by car! (Yeah, the event is really that good.) I know it's a long haul, but trust me, it's worth it. (Better yet, don't take my word for it... Just read the comments from other members about past SELEMs in the meet-and-greet sub-forum here on PL.)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    That's a whole 'nother can of worms. And even if you get it perfect ... call it a day. (Otherwise you risk your sanity...)

They have these things called "airplanes" now; perhaps you've heard of them? (Just messing with you!)

Ha ha. Thanks Adam. Yeah i will look into that "airplane" biz but no promises.

I mean i think a logarithmic lookup is just like an x square-ish lookup table instead of an x times-ish table.

Hey i really only get hue with my color with lasers, right?
    Ain't no black, right? I'd have to shine it on a black background and even then it ain't miiiixin w the background really...

And variations in intensity seem to be hard for myyyy eye to even notice much.

So mostly i try to get a hue and call it a day...