Thread: where can i come across a phosphorescent screen?

Default where can i come across a phosphorescent screen?

like some kinda fabric thingy that glows for a few seconds when the laser hits it and slowly fades.

i need some links, please. I mean i DID google it, but i only seem to find phosphorescent paint.

Am i doomed to by a screen and paint it? Or is there somebody selling something handier?

thanks

...Steve

For a short lived glow, you want a material treated with zinc sulfide based glow paint. The good news for you is that this is the cheap stuff. You can assemble one from treated vinyl like this. They also make self adhesive pads of the stuff. Quality varies from vendor to vendor. Much of the vinyl is intended to be heat transferred to fabric.

Painting fabric with glow in the dark paint is relatively easy. For best results you want a thick, even application of the paint. Three to four coats applied with a brush or roller. Be careful to keep the area clean. I paint them while they hang from a pipe and drape setup.

Oh, the most important part with drapes / fabric is to make sure that they are fire retardant. You want something that will melt if hit with a high power static laser beam, not burn. Drapes meant for expo use come with certifications of flame retardant treatment.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

ah, i see. so it wiiiill be a little craft project, eh.

I saw a video by Christopher Short with some spirograph-y figures that stayed lit via phosphorescence of some kind.
    It seemed like a short duration, though.

I wouldn't want something that would stay lit for more than a couple seconds, i think.

I appreciate the links! Thanks!

...Steve

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

that guy is super sketchy... watch out for him..

oh wait, he's me!

Quote Originally Posted by stephenhazel View Post
    ah, i see. so it wiiiill be a little craft project, eh.

I saw a video by Christopher Short with some spirograph-y figures that stayed lit via phosphorescence of some kind.
    It seemed like a short duration, though.

I wouldn't want something that would stay lit for more than a couple seconds, i think.

I appreciate the links! Thanks!

...Steve
    Last edited by swamidog; 01-21-2019 at 08:41.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

+1 regarding Chris being a sketchy guy!

Yeah, the right paint for the job is important. In this video you can see the contrast of strontium aluminate paint (back bar wall) and the short lived zinc sulfide (all other walls). I have since repainted all my walls with the long lasting strontium aluminate paint as "that's my bag, baby", but I definitely lost the ability to do nice looking short lived stuff. High on my list is to repaint the ceiling in the short lived stuff so I can do both again.

<Edit> The video also demonstrates how a bad paint job on the side walls looks. I attempted to use spray cans on my first try and it turned out poorly. The back bar was was properly air-brushed then rolled to get an even coat about 1/16 of an inch thick.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Well this place is how i found yall to begin with, of course

I'm more "Mr. Computer Programmer Guy" than "Mr. Artist Guy"...

This is lookin like more of a "do later" kinda project. Heheh.

I've got 4 weeks to do a lil show for my neighbors and this is probably not gonna fit in there

But it's deeeeefinitely on the "to do later" list ))

I appreciate the tips !