Thread: Introducing Parametric5

Default Introducing Parametric5

I decided to post an experimental stereo processor app that I worked on a number of years ago; I've recently cleaned it up to make presentable for others to try.
    There are so many free audio players around that are much better than anything I could offer, but my app does a couple of odd things that make it unique. My app is
    called Parametric5; it's a 3 band parametric EQ audio player, and what makes it unique is that band #2 offers 3 different modes: ordinary EQ, time arrival vs frequency,
    and overall phase shift adjustable over the full +/- 180 deg range. If you've ever hooked up a pair of speakers and got the polarity backwards on one of the two, you
    may find the phase effect interesting. Selecting the Process Right Channel Only option allows you to hear the difference between the channels- it's great headphone
    stuff, and the program also offers the ability to store the processed signal to a wave file.

Para5 was my adventure in figuring out a method to provide precise gain vs frequency control on a PCM digital signal- turns out there a number of ways to do it, mine is
    not the best since it requires a lot of computations, but it is what I came up with. The freq vs time arrival and overall phase adjustability modes just happened to fit
    in with my method, so I threw them in for the sake of mundane curiosity. Don't trade in your favorite audio player, this app is just for experimenting.

Make or choose a directory BEFORE running the setup. Para5 creates files in the directory that it's running in. Please see the Para5_Notes file to get started.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've added rear channel generation capability to Para5. Presently, the Generate Rear Pair option merely creates an adjustably delayed version of the stereo pair in the rear
    channels. I plan to add a number of selectable rear channel reverberation tables down the road- it's like 70's quad all over again!

I dug up some reverb code that I wrote many years ago and have now cobbled into Para5- it needs more work, but it's a start.
    Para5 leaves the front LR pair dry while generating reverb exclusively in the rear pair (EQ affects all channels). If your
    system is configured for stereo Windows will mix the rear pair in with the front and the result will be more like traditional
    reverb, but it is nowhere near as enjoyable as a system with a rear pair. If you're the least bit curious about stereo to quad
    enhancement, it's well worth the time to hook up an extra pair of speakers give this a try- once you hear it you may not want to
    go back to plain stereo.

Once again this is just the updated EXE, you'll need to run the setup from earlier if not already done and you must select Generate
    Rear Pair checkbox to get the reverb stuff to work.

Updated EXE- The Rear Gain control is replaced with a Front/Rear Balance adjustment.

Updated EXE- Added some reverb presets and made major increase in reverb computational speed.

Updated EXE- Added 5.1 channel output option. Subwoofer output has dynamically adjustable cutoff frequency and independent polarity control.
    Optional center channel output is a mono mix. More processor effects are in the works.

Updated EXE- Added a stereo 'Phlanger' effect with a number of adjustments and presets, plus improved control response of rear reverb settings.

Updated EXE- Fixed a bug in the Echo preset.