Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Modulaser: the semi-modular laser synth

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Afrozack View Post
    Hi, I have only been looking into this last few days as I got a LaserDock Dongle and a Helios being delivered soon. I have just bought Maxwell too, and it was after then that I found this. It seems to look similar to Maxwell, so I was wondering if it is the same people behind it, as Maxwell hasn't been updated since 2017, and Modulaser is new this year.

I will Play with the demo once my LaserDock dongle arrives, but I'm also curios from the publisher side what they may see as main differences between Modulaser and Maxwell (since I can't find much information yet) so hoping this way I can justify paying nearly twice the price of Maxwell for this. :-)
    Thanks for you interest in Modulaser! We're not the same team as the developer of Maxwell. We're a software developer from Eindhoven, The Netherlands, venturing out in laser control software. It all started with a simple idea, but got quite out of hand in the last couple of months, resulting in a real software product.

We've just released our latest version (1.3 - changelog can be found here; https://modulaser.app/changelog ) and also updated the site, so hopefully you can find the information you're looking for. If not, please let us know.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I love how old-school cool is making a comeback! Analog laser effects were a dying art, but now, thanks to the efforts of many dedicated enthusiast's we are seeing a huge resurgence in abstract laser art.

Carry on!

Adam
    Thanks! We'll do!

That's cool, thanks for replying! In that case great project to work on, and it looks good so far, so I can only imagine what you got in the development roadmap. Yeah I got the laser bug. I DJ but always wanted my own kit so 2019 has seen me go a tad nuts and now must stop buying lasers, 8 has to be enough. Only the most recent one is analog, girlfriend wasn't happy I bought that instead of a decent birthday present for her, but never mind... but I like to fiddle with kit so this is grown quickly into quite a cool hobby for me.

I look forward to having a proper play with Modulaser Pro very soon!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thanks for you interest in Modulaser! We're not the same team as the developer of Maxwell. We're a software developer from Eindhoven, The Netherlands, venturing out in laser control software. It all started with a simple idea, but got quite out of hand in the last couple of months, resulting in a real software product.

We've just released our latest version (1.3 - changelog can be found here; https://modulaser.app/changelog ) and also updated the site, so hopefully you can find the information you're looking for. If not, please let us know.

Thanks again!

I was wondering if it is the same people behind it, as Maxwell hasn't been updated since 2017, and Modulaser is new this year.

I will Play with the demo once my LaserDock dongle arrives, but I'm also curios from the publisher side what they may see as main differences between Modulaser and Maxwell (since I can't find much information yet) so hoping this way I can justify paying nearly twice the price of Maxwell for this. :-)
    Maxwell got us hooked on abstract laser visuals haha, but kind of left us wanting more. It became a bit same old after a while. The app's stability was disappointing, and it was missing many features we considered essential (Audio input, bpm sync, layering, better waveform controls).
    Apart from that, we took a bit of a different approach to abstract visuals. Inspired by modular synthesizers, overal flexibility was key. We wanted to hook up anything to anything so that the app stays fun (like an LFO modulated by an LFO). Might be biased, but I think that Modulaser stays interesting to explore for much longer Check out our free trial to see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I love how old-school cool is making a comeback! Analog laser effects were a dying art, but now, thanks to the efforts of many dedicated enthusiast's we are seeing a huge resurgence in abstract laser art.
    It's super cool. Have you tried out doing this with analog synthesis? I have a tiny eurorack system and bought an ILDA output (LZX Cyclops): it's insane. Super expensive though.
    Last edited by rutger; 05-02-2019 at 05:49.

Quote Originally Posted by rutger View Post
    Maxwell got us hooked on abstract laser visuals haha, but kind of left us wanting more. It became a bit same old after a while. The app's stability was disappointing, and it was missing many features we considered essential (Audio input, bpm sync, layering, better waveform controls).
    Apart from that, we took a bit of a different approach to abstract visuals. Inspired by modular synthesizers, overal flexibility was key. We wanted to hook up anything to anything so that the app stays fun (like an LFO modulated by an LFO). Might be biased, but I think that Modulaser stays interesting to explore for much longer Check out our free trial to see for yourself.
    Thanks for that, its good to know it was desinged with those features in mind! I get what you mean about wanting more from it, and these abstracts wolud take forever to design any other way, so thanks for your efforts and keep up the great work! I just purchased Modulaser now so just want my analog Laser to arrive now :-)
    Last edited by Afrozack; 05-02-2019 at 07:50.

I've been demonstrating Modulaser at the recent UK Laser Enthusiasts Meeting (UKLEM). It's a great piece of software with ultra responsive programmers. I found a few little bugs that have now been fixed, as I said, ultra responsive programmers. However, there is one thing you should be aware of and that is that there is currently nothing to stop you making your scanners scream in pain. Just keep the image sizes down and you'll be fine, the programmers are working on a fix.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Default License question

Hi Roger, quick question about the license. Am I allowed to have it on one desktop and one laptop, or just one machine?

Hi Roger, quick question about the license. Am I allowed to have it on one desktop and one laptop, or just one machine?
    You can have it on both your desktop and laptop, as long as you use it on only one of those at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I've been demonstrating Modulaser at the recent UK Laser Enthusiasts Meeting (UKLEM). It's a great piece of software with ultra responsive programmers. I found a few little bugs that have now been fixed, as I said, ultra responsive programmers. However, there is one thing you should be aware of and that is that there is currently nothing to stop you making your scanners scream in pain. Just keep the image sizes down and you'll be fine, the programmers are working on a fix.
    Ok that's useful to know thanks. I got to have a little play last night and made some cool images (still waiting for DAC's to arrive) but on the viewer and using some of my midi controllers (used Korg Nano's ) and with it was quite fun so can gonna be a great addition to when I dj to do live effects

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    You can have it on both your desktop and laptop, as long as you use it on only one of those at the same time.
    Yeah the laptop is for outdoor performance and desktop for home fun. That's great, thanks for Uber quick reply!